Author Topic: BSO to stream Ozawa's final M9 (April 20, 2002) this Sunday (May 3)  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Russell

Got this in my e-mail yesterday:

Seiji Ozawa conducts Mahler's Symphony No. 9
Recorded live on April 20, 2002.

Streaming for a limited time starting Sunday, May 3 at 3PM EDT.

Seiji Ozawa led his final concerts In Symphony Hall as BSO Music Director in April 2002. His 29 years as the BSO’s leader was the longest in its history, surpassing even Serge Koussevitzky’s legendary tenure. After stepping down from his BSO position, Maestro Ozawa was named the orchestra’s Music Director Laureate – a title he still holds.

Ozawa’s strong connection to Mahler is well documented in his recordings with the BSO of the composer’s complete symphonies. He chose the Ninth Symphony for his final concerts as music director in part for its famously valedictory mood. Mahler was very much aware of his own mortality when he began the symphony in 1909 and completed it in April 1910, a few months before his 50th birthday. It was the last piece he finished. Although in its opening movement and finale the symphony seems to contemplate mortality as well as what lies beyond death, the second and third movements delve deeply into the energy, humor, and sweetness of life.

Here's the URL:

https://www.bso.org/brands/bso/at-home/bso-at-home-heroic-performances-may-3.aspx?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=New+this+week+in+ArtsAlive%3A+Seiji+Ozawa+conducts+Mahler+s+Symphony+No++9&utm_campaign=MKT+BSO+at+Home+Heroic+Performances+2

Offline John Kim

I have the performance on a blu ray which was released by NHK in Japan.

This is indeed a great Mahler Ninth. I love all three Ozawa led M9ths - Philips, Sony, and NHK.

Don't miss it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk