Author Topic: Iván Fischer/Budapest Das Lied on Channel Classics  (Read 4326 times)

Offline erikwilson7

Iván Fischer/Budapest Das Lied on Channel Classics
« on: June 10, 2020, 06:51:35 AM »
Iván Fischer’s Mahler cycle isn’t over! What a pleasant surprise. Das Lied von der Erde is due out 4 September, 2020. ”Von der Schönheit” is on Spotify and Idagio, and to me sounds splendid. Soloists are Gerhild Romberger and Robert Dean Smith.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8791811--mahler-das-lied-von-der-erde
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 06:53:09 AM by erikwilson7 »

Offline ChrisH

Re: Iván Fischer/Budapest Das Lied on Channel Classics
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 02:05:48 PM »
I found this, this morning. Ivan Fischer doing a live chat about Mahler. It sounds as if he will be taking questions, as well. This takes place at 1PM EST.

https://app.idagio.com/live/event/ivan-fischer-das-lied-von-der-erde

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 05:31:24 PM »
I just watched the live chat. It was insightful, and I appreciate that Fischer goes to great lengths to understand so much about Mahler. His knowledge and perspective is reflected in his recordings, even if I may not find his Nos. 5 and 7 to be effective. I looked, and Fischer has done a chat for each of the previous symphonies besides the Eighth. I know he said he'd never do it—and probably never will—but one can still hope.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 08:48:14 AM »
I'd have to hear that one first. Not because of Ivan Fischer, but because neither Romberger or Robert Dean Smith are not among my favorite current singers.

I really liked the Adam Fischer "DLvdE". Of course, it helps having Anna Larsson.

Two performances I'm hoping will one day making it to disc:  Thielemann/Dresden Staatskapelle M3 with Ilena Garanca (this is on Youtube), and the Welser-Most/Vienna Phil. M8 from Wien's Konzerthaus.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 06:15:40 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 05:24:56 PM »
I did like Romberger in I. Fischer's M3. I think her voice will fit the mood of "Der Einsame im Herbst" and "Der Abschied" well. "Von der Shönheit" sounded a bit less sunny and mellifluous than I'm used to, but she sings it well and the orchestra sounds great, as usual.
I do think Ádám is going to outshine Iván again on this one overall. That's just my take though. I can’t get enough of the Ádám/Düsseldorf team.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 06:04:12 PM by erikwilson7 »

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 06:14:46 PM »
Yes, well I could certainly be wrong. Sometimes vocalists sing better than you expect them to - other times worse. They're only human.

I guess I'm being a tad 'snarky' because I've not been thrilled with Ivan Fischer's recent Mahler, although the M3 was pretty good. M5, M9, M7 - all under par in my book. His attitude about M8 bugs me too.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 09:59:45 PM »
Agreed on both points, though I. Fischer has, on consensus, one of the most well-rounded surveys of the Wunderhorn symphonies of almost anyone. They’re all good, if not great recordings that received nearly unanimous acclaim. That’s it for me though. I can’t do his M5, M7, or M9, and the M6 was too soft for me but finely played. To be frank, I really only care about the fine playing and the engineering. His conducting of Mahler generally doesn’t do it for me. I agree with Thomass: they’re just too mellow. Save the M2, which I find to be outstanding.

I’ve also been on somewhat of a M8 binge the past few months. It’s a shame to me that he won’t do the Eighth because it would probably sound incredible with that orchestra and Channel Classics’ engineering. At least his brother was bold enough to do it, and it’s a refreshing account. Not the M8 we’ve all come to know. As a whole I think Ádám’s cycle is going to go down as one of the greats.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2020, 12:16:43 AM »
You're right - I've never thought about it:  Ivan Fischer's M1 through M4 are all really, really good. Too bad his 5th was so dull, but there are plenty of good M5's out there. The M6 isn't bad - just a tad fast and light for any real 'tragedy' to set in, I suppose.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2020, 12:43:43 AM »
The M6 isn't bad - just a tad fast and light for any real 'tragedy' to set in, I suppose.

I like to visit the I. Fischer M6 when I want a M6 “fix” but don’t want to be overwhelmed. For that I have my personal favorite, the truly “tragic” Young/Hamburg recording. Whew, that’s a powerhouse performance. I just switch it to S/A when I listen.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2020, 07:56:35 AM »
The cool thing about Simon Young's M6 is that in the finale, she reverts to the first version from the lead-in to the third hammer stroke, all the way to the beginning of the funereal dirge for low brass. She doesn't just graft the third hammer-stroke onto the revised version (which is what everyone has done). I agree - it's a strong performance.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2020, 02:00:05 PM »
Agreed, I really like that. It begs the question though: if she’s returning to the first version why did she perform it in A/S? That’s the only issue I have, but an easily changeable one on my end.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2020, 07:17:24 PM »
Young's M6 I & II (A) are on the first disc, III (S) & IV are on the second disc. As such it's not all that easy to switch it to S-A order. I really HATE them putting only 2 movts on a disc. Why can't they put I.-III. all together?

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2020, 07:34:53 PM »
Totally agreed with you there, John. I was personally referring to using Spotify/iTunes/Idagio, but far too many labels make the mistake of splitting the symphony that way on CD. I have the Stenz box and they do it there too. It’s like they’re forcing you to listen to it their way.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2020, 11:08:34 PM »
Rattle, Zinman, Stenz, Young ... all did the same mistake.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2020, 11:47:26 PM »
I think the best way to go about it is to put the finale on its own disc. I actually like to listen to Kindertotenlieder immediately following M6 because it begins in despair (“Now the sun wants to rise so brightly as if no catastrophe happened during the night. The tragedy happened to me alone.”) and ends with a glimmer of peace and hope, a question answered by M7 and then M8. I’d like if a box set someday included M6/I–III on one disc and M6/IV and Kindertotenlieder on the next. That’d make for some emotional listening.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk