Author Topic: New M2 Blu-ray from Dudamel  (Read 2153 times)

Offline James Meckley

New M2 Blu-ray from Dudamel
« on: July 09, 2020, 10:43:08 PM »
I just had a chance to view the new Unitel Blu-ray of Gustavo Dudamel and the Münchner Philharmoniker doing M2 in the Palau de la Música Catalana on 2019-06-27. I won't attempt anything approaching a full review after just one viewing, but here are a few passing observations.

Although the hall is equipped with an impressive-looking organ, there was no one playing it and I heard no organ in the mix. Instrument out of commission? Off-pitch relative to the orchestra? Who knows? The orchestra played well enough, but there were some really odd balances here and there. Mr Dudamel conducted with his usual enthusiasm and entirely from memory, which always impresses the Hell out of me. The video work featured some really, really tight closeups of Dudamel and some of the players, of the type you might see at a baseball game where the pitcher's head fills the entire screen. I've never seen this technique used in a concert video and found it a little off-putting. The ending didn't build the way one would hope and seemed a bit anticlimactic. Given the competition available, I'd approach this one with caution.

BTW, I decided to grab a copy of the de La Grange Volume I after all. I understand that only 800 copies were printed and I didn't want to risk missing out all together. Amazon has it for $175.00, no tax and no shipping.
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline barryguerrero

Re: New M2 Blu-ray from Dudamel
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 12:38:13 AM »
Thanks for the report. I had a feeling that this might be one to skip. So far, the Munich Phil. hasn't had a great track record with Mahler. I can tell you that the Andris Nelsons/Vienna Phil. M2 dvd from Salzburg is definitely one to consider. For me, it's a tough call between Nelsons and the Chailly/Gewandhaus one for an M2 on dvd (I think I would lean to the Chailly).

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 01:09:13 AM »
For me, it's a tough call between Nelsons and the Chailly/Gewandhaus one for an M2 on dvd (I think I would lean to the Chailly).

I have both and also prefer the Chailly.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 01:17:27 AM »
I was wondering about this one, thanks James. I never really got into Dudamel's Mahler, though he released a good Ninth at some point.

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 01:32:24 AM »
I never really got into Dudamel's Mahler, though he released a good Ninth at some point.

I heard him do an unforgettable M5 in New York just before he took the job in Los Angeles. His recorded Mahler has been somewhat uneven. The M1 at his opening concert in LA was a particular disappointment.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 01:45:09 AM »
Yeah, inaugural Mahler concerts don't have a good representation on disc. The Yannick N-S / Philadelphia live inaugural Mahler 5 recording was well-played, but the engineering was too thick and unclear, and I don't think he had a good grasp of the piece yet. I just recently watched a stream of him conducting it in Rotterdam several months back and it was terrific, however.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk