Author Topic: SWR Classic is issuing a Hans Rosbaud Mahler box in Sept.  (Read 2886 times)

Offline barryguerrero

SWR Classic is issuing a Hans Rosbaud Mahler box in Sept.
« on: August 07, 2020, 06:54:51 AM »
I'm not crazy about Hans Rosbaud's Mahler, but many are. SWR Classic is issuing a box set of symphonies 1, 4-7 and 9 (no 2, 3 or 8). The orchestra is, of course, the Southwest German Radio Orchestra of Baden-Baden. F.Y.I.

Rosbaud's live Mahler 9 performance with the Chicago Symphony is the stuff of legends, but nothing he performed with them got recorded.

Offline erikwilson7

Re: SWR Classic is issuing a Hans Rosbaud Mahler box in Sept.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 07:11:51 AM »
I’m going to give these a listen. I only just recently discovered Rosbaud’s 1951 M5 with the WDR and I surprisingly liked it a lot. I don’t often go in for pre-1960 recordings. I’m no audiophile, but I’m picky about sound when it comes to capturing the details.

I’m not all that familiar with the plethora of radio orchestras out there. The WDR Sinfonieorchester is different from the SWR Sinfonieorchester Baden-Baden und Freiburg, yes? I know sometimes orchestras go through name changes.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 07:17:02 AM »
They combined with the orchestra from Freiburg, I believe. It was a cost cutting measure, if I'm remembering correctly. This box might be pretty good. I've mostly heard 'pirates' of Rosbaud doing Mahler. The really great commercial recording he did was of various Sibelius tone poems/legends on Deutsche Grammophon.

Offline Freddy van Maurik

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 11:15:16 AM »
I'm not crazy about Hans Rosbaud's Mahler, but many are. SWR Classic is issuing a box set of symphonies 1, 4-7 and 9 (no 2, 3 or 8). The orchestra is, of course, the Southwest German Radio Orchestra of Baden-Baden. F.Y.I.

Rosbaud's live Mahler 9 performance with the Chicago Symphony is the stuff of legends, but nothing he performed with them got recorded.

I just love how your '8 )' (but without the space) turned into the 'cool'-emoji, Barry! To me, it's quite appropriate for Mahler 8 ;)
And I'll also give this a listen, I'm rather curious about these performances.

Cheers,
Freddy

Offline waderice

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 01:22:52 PM »
Most of Rosbaud's Mahler is available on the Japanese Memories label, in a 2-volume set, and though the quality is variable, the upcoming SWR set should be excellent.  Rosbaud's M9 in particular, is excellent and the playing is consummate.  SWR's previous releases are dedicated primarily to concentrating on a given composer with each set having excellent sound.  Of particular interest is Rosbaud's Bruckner set, which has all the symphonies except for "0" and No. 1.  Their most recent release is one of Beethoven, though it doesn't have all of the symphonies.

In the summer, Rosbaud participated in opera performances at the Festival of Aix-en-Chapelle (I think I got the name correct).  A Mozart Don Giovanni and Figaro from that festival are part of my collection.

It's sad that Rosbaud didn't get to live any longer than he did.  I'm sure that if he had, he would eventually have attained worldwide fame that he so much deserved.  Shortly before he died, as mentioned by Barry, Rosbaud conducted a M9 with the Chicago Symphony, that earned him a "Tusch" from the orchestra.  Reiner, the then CSO music director wanted Rosbaud to succeed him as music director, but with Rosbaud's passing, Reiner then wanted Karl Böhm to succeed him.  And as we know, that didn't happen, with Jean Martinon becoming Reiner's replacement.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Barry.  I'm looking forward to getting Rosbaud's Mahler set.

Wade
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 02:29:15 PM by waderice »

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 10:02:03 PM »
Frankly, I'm thankful Jean Martinon took over . He made excellent recordings in Chicago that showed the orchestra off in an entirely new and different light. And as we all know, he did at least Mahler 3 and 10 (Cooke I) with the C.S.O.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 01:59:43 AM »
Slightly off topic but I'm curious about what the experts here say: who really "brought" Mahler to Chicago? I'm writing this as I listen to Levine's CSO M7 (surprisingly good first movement and finale).

Offline waderice

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 12:31:13 PM »
Slightly off topic but I'm curious about what the experts here say: who really "brought" Mahler to Chicago? I'm writing this as I listen to Levine's CSO M7 (surprisingly good first movement and finale).

Henry-Louis de La Grange's magnum Mahler biography, Volume IV, "Gustav Mahler - A New Life Cut Short" documents in Appendix 3Ad on Mahler performances in Chicago, that Frederick Stock did the first Mahler performances there between 1913 and 1937.  During those years, he performed M1, M4, M5, M7, M8, Das Lied von der Erde, and Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen.  Specific dates for each of the works performed are not given in nearly all cases.

Bruno Walter guest-conducted the CSO in 1956 in a performance of M2.  And as Barry mentioned, Jean Martinon conducted the CSO in its first (and phenomenal) performance of M3, which is available in a multi-CD red box of the CSO.

Wade
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 07:12:32 PM by waderice »

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2020, 07:32:37 PM »
Thanks, Wade. I always wondered how the Mahler tradition in my home orchestra started. I still need to invest in the Henry Louis de la Grange volumes.

Offline waderice

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 08:40:51 PM »
Thanks, Wade. I always wondered how the Mahler tradition in my home orchestra started. I still need to invest in the Henry Louis de la Grange volumes.

You're welcome.  Get the volumes while you can.  They're not cheap, by any means, especially Volume IV.

Wade

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk