Author Topic: Kubelík’s DG cycle: remastered?  (Read 2740 times)

Offline erikwilson7

Kubelík’s DG cycle: remastered?
« on: August 13, 2020, 01:36:42 AM »
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but has anyone tried this? Is it a new remastering? I’m intrigued, and just getting into Kubelík’s Mahler.

Mahler: 10 Symphonies [10 CD + Blu-ray Audio] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G2PK4RH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VHjnFbMHWDCFV

Offline erikwilson7

Re: Kubelík’s DG cycle: remastered?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 01:47:17 AM »
One reviewer wrote:

“I have only been listening to the blu-ray disc, but apparently the CDs are not the remastered versions.“

Interesting choice for DG to release it this way.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 08:02:26 AM »
I interpret the back side as meaning the "Pure Audio" (24/96) and "BluRay" are separate entities. If you read the reviews, there's some argument as to whether the CD's were remastered or not. The majority feel that they ARE remastered. I would guess that to be true.

The other early complete Mahler cycle I like is the Abravanel, particularly for M4 (Davrath!) and M8. And, of course, I like Bernstein's first complete cycle.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 01:05:08 PM »
The 24/96 Pure Audio is the blu-ray disc. That resolution won't fit on a redbook layer. Actually, it's DTS-HD 2.0. I have two of these blu-ray discs, Solit Ring and the Mehta Turondot. Both of these surpass their original releases in sound quality. Having an entire opera on one disc, easily searchable, is amazing. Seeing more discs like this would be nice, but I don't think they've really taken off. Maybe they should try releasing something new on these formats instead of retreading the same ground over and over again.

Offline akiralx

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 10:57:02 AM »
The 24/96 Pure Audio is the blu-ray disc. Having an entire opera on one disc, easily searchable, is amazing.

Yes, I have the reissue of Wilhelm Kempff's stereo Beethoven sonata cycle, which includes all 32 sonatas on one bluray.

Offline waderice

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 08:54:21 PM »
In addition to Kubelik's 24/96 Mahler symphonies remastering to the Blu-ray Audio format, all of Haitink's Philips Mahler has received the same treatment, as well as his Bruckner symphony cycle.  There is lots of Wagner, to include Solti's Tannhäuser and Parsifal, plus his Strauss Elektra and Salome.  Also, there's Böhm's Bayreuth Tristan.  Lots to be had out there in that format.  All that needs to be done is to look for it.

Wade

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk