Author Topic: A French Mahler 7 with Alexandre Bloch on Alpha  (Read 4635 times)

Offline erikwilson7

Re: A French Mahler 7 with Alexandre Bloch on Alpha
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2020, 02:15:19 PM »
I watched Zinman’s documentary on M6 and their recording process. It was really insightful.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2020, 05:46:47 PM »
I have the DVD of Zinman's M6 documentary, titled "Going Against Fate". It's certainly part infomercial too. It's a lot of fun, with lots of shots of cows, alpine scenery, big cowbells and, of course, the wooden hammer business. I'm not sure I care for Zinman's own input that much. However, all I care is that he conducts the piece well.

"Going Against Fate? skirts the "Alma" business, for the most part. But on the other hand, neither is there any attempt to explore the juxtaposition between Mahler's Alpine based heaven, and the stark realities of a unified Germany and the escalating militarization of Europe in general. If anyone still believes that the finale of M6 is nothing more than an over-sized expression of Mahler's personal insecurities and doubts over his marriage to Alma, you need to study the first version of the finale in detail.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2020, 06:57:53 PM »
Don't forget, Zinman also did a terrific M6th in Baltimore. It used electronic hammer blows in IV. that really blasted literally!

John

Offline John Kim

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2020, 09:16:26 PM »
I also very much like Zinman's Aspen Festival M9th. It was very organic (as is his RCA recording), but better flowing and better played.

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2020, 10:50:30 PM »
John is correctly about the electronically enhanced hammer strokes on Zinman's Baltimore recording of M6. But that wasn't my first introduction to that novel idea. I saw performance of M6 Zinman gave with the S.F. Symphony - before MTT was director - he had the most incredible explosions for the two hammer strokes. It sounded as though a bomb had detonated deep below the stage. It was unbelievable.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2020, 05:12:46 AM »
My quick initial thoughts: this is outstanding, to me. I like the rugged, imperfect intonation sometimes (like Fischer/Düsseldorf), and the quicker tempi. The end has the loudest bells and cowbells I've ever heard. Almost too loud, but I like it.

I need some more time to digest it to decide if it will replace by favorites by Vänskä, Zinman (loving it), Boulez, and Tilson Thomas (LSO). If there's any Mahler symphony that deserves the French treatment it's this one.

The sound quality is excellent to me, like a bass-ier Fischer/Düsseldorf sound.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2020, 05:50:14 PM »
If Sanderling's M10 is the most cohesive performance of Cooke ed., Zinman's is the most cohesive account of Carpenter ed.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2020, 06:02:47 PM »
John, I haven’t yet heard the Zinman M10 Carpenter ed. Is it better than the Litton?

Also, I like the Sanderling a lot (it’s probably the best one), but still prefer the Dausgaard and Gielen over it.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2020, 07:37:25 PM »
Erik

Both the Zinman & Litton are excellent. It's hard to choose one over the other. But the sound and playing of the Zinman are more refined if that will make a difference to you. Yes, the Daugaard/SSO M10 (Cooke) is also first class.

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2020, 07:51:14 AM »
Eric, having gone back to hearing the Litton, I do feel that the Zinman one is a bit better, overall. Just my two cents. You won't wrong with either. I still like the Samale/Mazzuca version best as an alternative or supplement to Cooke.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk