Author Topic: A. Bloch - this guy is GOOD! This is the way you do M1/III.  (Read 2772 times)

Offline barryguerrero

A. Bloch - this guy is GOOD! This is the way you do M1/III.
« on: August 18, 2020, 01:21:54 AM »
Check it out. A nice, big Wuhan in the funeral procession, and he does the "Fiddler on the Roof" music fabulously. There's a real sense of climax the second time around. I hoping his Mahler 7 is this good throughout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjeHkBKKcus
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 10:06:43 PM by barryguerrero »

Offline erikwilson7

Re: A. Bloch - this is guy is GOOD! This is the way you do M1/III.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 05:21:35 AM »
This is so good! I love the oom-pahs when the klezmer band comes back later on. So characterful! I like their tuba player.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 05:25:23 AM »
That couldn't possibly be a simpler tuba part to play. All you need is a conductor who permits you to play out, and is willing to let the village band music sound like what it really is: village band music.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 05:35:12 AM »
I agree. I prefer when conductors aren’t afraid to let the “ugliness,” or rawness of Mahler’s music to shine.

I was listening to the Barbirolli M3 with Hallé earlier and he—like Bloch, Gielen, Bernstein, and even Ádám Fischer—just isn’t afraid of what Mahler really wants the music to sound like.

Sometimes I like to hear some pristine, shiny Mahler from Chailly or Iván Fischer, but I usually like it like Bloch does here. Now I have high hopes for the M7.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 07:02:42 AM »
We'll see. At Spotify I just checked out his Ravel "La Valse" and "Rapsodie Espagnole", as well as his Chausson "Symphony in Bb" - all on the Alpha label. While I would say none of those were definitive (but VERY good), what I heard may have bode well for the Mahler 7. Apparently, it's going to be a full cycle!

There's a Youtube excerpt of him doing the last several minutes of "The Rite of Spring" with his Lille orchestra. Honestly, it's about as clear and well defined as I've ever heard it - in terms of both the textures and rhythms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtIDNO-wn-A

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 02:45:27 PM »
Just curious, how do you know it will be a full cycle?

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 03:42:33 PM »
There are full concert performances of 1, 5, and 9 on YouTube with Bloch and the Lille orchestra. You’re right, this guy REALLY knows his Mahler. There are also videos of him giving mini lectures on 2, 4–7 which makes me think you’re right about a cycle, Barry.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 08:32:40 PM »
I think saw that info. in a blurb at Presto Classical or Europadisc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk