General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Bernstein M5 VPO 1987 Proms

<< < (2/4) > >>

erikwilson7:
Hi all,

I extracted the audio from the source and have the movements split up into separate .wav and .mp3 files for download. Send me a private message if you are interested.

Erik

akiralx:
It is now on YouTube in what sounds rather better sonics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwOrg9doT6Q

erikwilson7:
I just revisited Bernstein's NYPO Mahler 5 from the 60s. Am I the only person on the planet who likes this recording better than his Vienna DG account? It seems like this older recording is universally condemned as being mediocre. There are a couple of splotches in playing and sound here and there, but this music was still pretty darn difficult back then!

The differences to me are that with the NYPO he was going for good balance of accuracy and emotion, whereas in Vienna he was just going for overblown emotional impact at the expense of some of the details in the score. Maybe I'm wrong though. Thoughts?

(I don't think the DG account is bad by any means, just not my preferred approach)

John Kim:
Erik,

I don't care for Lenny's DG M5th just as I don't his M6th with the same orchestra. I much prefer the old NYPO recording of M6th. As for the Fifth I need to revisit the NYPO CD to see your points more clearly.

John

erikwilson7:
I sort of just 'discovered' his NYPO M6, and I'm blown away. I'm loving the quicker, manic pacing and amazing attention to detail. If I want an "end of the world" intense M6 I can turn to his DG M6, but even before that I still prefer Simone Young's. Terrifying and awesome recording. And along the same lines I actually like the Tilson Thomas M6 a lot, even if his scherzo sounds rhythmically incorrect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version