Author Topic: Neumann Czech Philharmonic Das Lied von der Erde on Praga  (Read 2358 times)

Offline sbugala

Neumann Czech Philharmonic Das Lied von der Erde on Praga
« on: October 14, 2020, 10:12:02 PM »
Hey Friends,
    I was curious if anyone had heard this rendition Das Lied von der Erde on Praga, with Vaclav Neumann and the Czech Philharmonic. Another version with different singers is from the early 70s, and doesn't interest me as much, after a quick listen. However, my hope is the sound is better on this one. Your perspectives are appreciated. Thanks!

(I've already requested it through my library's Inter-Library Loan, so I look forward to reporting back.)

https://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Lied-Schumann-Frauenliebe-Leben/dp/B000005W1V

Offline barryguerrero

Re: Neumann Czech Philharmonic Das Lied von der Erde on Praga
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 11:13:56 PM »
How bad can it be, right?   .   .   .  You've got Christa Ludwig throughout, so you're in good hands in that regard. You also get her singing Schumann's pretty, if also slightly 'dull' song cycle. Still, I like Schumann enough that I would listen to that, at least once. This could be a good question for David Hurwitz.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 12:19:19 AM »
Well said.

I found the last movement on YouTube. So far, I like it. Those Czech horns are so different and beautiful.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 03:38:23 AM »
They were still playing with vibrato at that time. I understand the whole section plays Engelbert Schmid triple horns now.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 03:43:12 AM »
I’ve been listening to the Neumann/Czech cycle on Supraphon for the first time and the playing is so unique. The orchestral textures are so melodic. Reminds me of Kubelík.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 01:12:15 PM »
They retain a little of that sound, but it’s been dialed back; for sure.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk