Author Topic: D.H.'s Youtube rave of Hans Rosbaud/S.W.R. Mahler box.  (Read 3040 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Offline John Kim

Re: D.H.'s Youtube rave of Hans Rosbaud/S.W.R. Mahler box.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 06:28:41 PM »
Rosbaud's Mahler box set is the best recording I acquired this year so far.

John

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 06:33:11 PM »
What's so amazing about the remastered sound is that there is very little sign of dynamic compression, distortion, and saturation. These recordings are in mono but I get the illusion that they were recorded in stereo.

John
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 06:35:18 PM by John Kim »

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 10:01:21 PM »
These recordings are in mono but I get the illusion that they were recorded in stereo.

I think the WDR/SWR engineers have fooled around with the pure mono signal on these tapes, adding a subtle (and sometimes not-so-subtle) phony ambience to the CDs in the manner of Andrew Rose and his Ambient Stereo effect at Pristine Audio. I may have to dig out my old Tektronix oscilloscope to prove it, but this is what my ears tell me. In some spots it's strong enough to affect the clarity of the signal.

I didn't notice this effect on their earlier Rosbaud Bruckner box, but now I'll have to go back and listen more carefully.
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 04:55:57 AM »
It's no big secret that I'm generally not a fan of most historical recordings. I do suspect something of an 'emperor's new clothes' phenomenon here. These same recordings have been out numerous times on various small labels. Therefore, it wouldn't surprise me if they did add, a "phony ambiance". These were good performances for their time, but I think they're dated. Just one person's opinion. I listened to some of this set at Spotify and there's nothing here that makes me want to buy it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 07:53:15 PM by barryguerrero »

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 05:04:50 AM »
Frankly I just love the M5. I also really like how the M9 is paced. Everything else is very fine but doesn’t interest me.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 07:09:22 PM »
Just to be clear, for me, Rosbaud doing Berg's "Three Pieces for Orchestra" or Stravinsky's "Agon" is an entirely different situation. His DG Sibelius disc is really good too.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 07:52:24 PM by barryguerrero »

Offline waderice

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 11:44:14 PM »
I think the WDR/SWR engineers have fooled around with the pure mono signal on these tapes, adding a subtle (and sometimes not-so-subtle) phony ambience to the CDs in the manner of Andrew Rose and his Ambient Stereo effect at Pristine Audio. I may have to dig out my old Tektronix oscilloscope to prove it, but this is what my ears tell me. In some spots it's strong enough to affect the clarity of the signal.

I didn't notice this effect on their earlier Rosbaud Bruckner box, but now I'll have to go back and listen more carefully.

I tend to agree with you on this, James.  I also have both sets you mention, and I didn't detect any "fooling around" with the sound on the Bruckner set as seemingly has been done on the Mahler set.  In fact, other Rosbaud sets dedicated to other different composers don't have this phony ambience you mention.  It seems that this might have been purposely done to promote sales of this Mahler set.  If anything, it ruins the sound.  While the performances are really good, the results do harm to Rosbaud's legacy as a Mahler conductor of the first rank.

Considering the time that these recordings were made, I think that Rosbaud's major contribution here is in the performances of M6 and M7, as there were almost no recordings of these symphonies extant at the time of their making.

Except for the M1 in this set, these same performances appeared on the Japanese Memories/Reverence label, which I have, and they have totally different sound than do these in the SWR set, and seemingly sound to come from different masters.

If opportunity permits, do get out your old Tektronix oscilloscope and check these recordings out.  I'd definitely be interested in knowing what you find out.

Wade

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk