Author Topic: Found a new copy of Tennsedt/L.P.O. 'Live, in Concert' Mahler box at E-Bay  (Read 2124 times)

Offline barryguerrero

I got this box for a very good price at E-Bay. It has two "Resurrection" symphonies: one from 1989, and one from 1981. I was at one of the 1981 performances at London's Royal Festival Hall. Needless to say, it'll be fun to revisit that. This has the 1983 M6, which boasts the most overtly expressionistic, frightening scherzo ever! For this type of performance, I like this one much more than Bernstein/V.P.O. (which ain't bad, by any means). Tennstedt doesn't drag the finale either - he gets it in under 31 minutes. This is just a juggernaut of an M6.

https://www.lpo.org.uk/recordings-and-gifts/4525-box-set-mahler-symphonies-live-in-concert.html
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 05:01:54 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline Prospero

I was at a Tennstedt M6 in London in 1983 at the Royal Festival Hall. I remember a huge triangular black Maria box at the back of the orchestra that delivered terrifying hammer blows in the last movement.  The intensity of the performance was overwhelming. I thought we were all going to die, including Tennstedt. My wife said it was the most powerful performance she had ever heard, but she didn't want hear the symphony  again for at least ten years.

We may remember the scene of Mahler weeping after conducting the 6th.

Offline barryguerrero

The performance in the L.P.O.'s own box would be the same - or mixed together from the same series of concerts. It's also available individually from the L.P.O., so you wouldn't have to buy the box.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk