General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

D.H.'s Youtube rave of Hans Rosbaud/S.W.R. Mahler box.

(1/2) > >>

barryguerrero:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oakxm0RL9xY

John Kim:
Rosbaud's Mahler box set is the best recording I acquired this year so far.

John

John Kim:
What's so amazing about the remastered sound is that there is very little sign of dynamic compression, distortion, and saturation. These recordings are in mono but I get the illusion that they were recorded in stereo.

John

James Meckley:

--- Quote from: John Kim on October 16, 2020, 06:33:11 PM ---These recordings are in mono but I get the illusion that they were recorded in stereo.

--- End quote ---

I think the WDR/SWR engineers have fooled around with the pure mono signal on these tapes, adding a subtle (and sometimes not-so-subtle) phony ambience to the CDs in the manner of Andrew Rose and his Ambient Stereo effect at Pristine Audio. I may have to dig out my old Tektronix oscilloscope to prove it, but this is what my ears tell me. In some spots it's strong enough to affect the clarity of the signal.

I didn't notice this effect on their earlier Rosbaud Bruckner box, but now I'll have to go back and listen more carefully.

barryguerrero:
It's no big secret that I'm generally not a fan of most historical recordings. I do suspect something of an 'emperor's new clothes' phenomenon here. These same recordings have been out numerous times on various small labels. Therefore, it wouldn't surprise me if they did add, a "phony ambiance". These were good performances for their time, but I think they're dated. Just one person's opinion. I listened to some of this set at Spotify and there's nothing here that makes me want to buy it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version