Author Topic: Esoteric releases SACD version of Boulez/VPO/DG Mahler 6th  (Read 2762 times)

Offline John Kim

Re: Esoteric releases SACD version of Boulez/VPO/DG Mahler 6th
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 11:36:43 PM »
Along with his VPO M3rd, this is Boulez's BEST Mahler recording. It sounds rich and sumptuous on my 4D CD.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 11:49:25 PM »
I wish I had some way to hear this, and SACDs. Boulez is one of my favorite Mahler conductors. I rank this M6 as one of my favorites, and I just wish the hammers were more impactful. If they were, it would no doubt be my own top pick.

I think Boulez's Mahler is stronger than we give it credit for. It just feels like most of his recordings are one step below ideal. If the M2 had more organ, it would be one of my top picks. If the M6 had louder hammers, it would be my top pick. If the M8 had better tams, it would be my top pick. If the M9 had a slower finale, it would be my top pick. Et cetera.

Those are just my personal thoughts on those recordings. That doesn't mean they're objectively great.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 12:15:27 AM »
Erik,

Your thoughts on Boulez/Mahler are spot on. To me, his Mahler is touch too cool for my taste. However, with the right kind of sonics, e.g., that of VPO M6th, it may sound perfectly convincing. Have you heard his Staatskapelle Berlin M2nd DVD? It's far more engaging than the VPO M2nd and quite dramatic (for Boulez!) too.

I too like to hear the SACD. It's priced around $60.00 though.

John

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 12:21:33 AM »
I haven't heard that M2 performance yet, but I've read only very good things on here and elsewhere.

I agree Boulez conducts coolly, but I like that he lets the music speak for itself (or the musicians, more specifically). To me he is the antithesis of Bernstein: zero ego, cool conducting, everything is in the details, balance, and pacing (tempo relationships). It all comes down to what you're in the mood for each day.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 03:26:06 AM »
Boulez/V.P.O. is my #1 recommendation for Mahler 6 to 'newbies'. It's proportioned so perfectly. Tempo relationships are pretty much perfect too.

I wish the Maazel/V.P.O. M6 could be issued on a single disc, but I guess it's a tad too long. I like that one quite a bit too.

For DVD's of M2, I like Boulez/Berlin Staatskapelle, Chailly/Leipzig Gewandhaus and A. Nelsons/V.P.O. (Salzburg Festival). I haven't seen the Paavo Jarvi one, but I believe it's nearly identical to the CD that got issued on Virgin Classics (Frankfurt). I'm not a big fan of Bernstein's L.S.O. video.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 03:29:35 AM »
I recently bought the Chailly/Leipzig M2. It's truly amazing, and perfectly paced. If it were on disc it would be my #1 M2

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 03:45:19 AM »
It's a pity that they didn't do a Chailly/Leipzig M3. I like Chailly's fast M7, but I wish he'd gone slower for the first two movements, like he did in Amsterdam.

When it comes to the 7th, it seems all conductors are either go slow the entire duration, or fast for the entire duration. It dawns on very few of them to go slower in the earlier movements and gradually speed up as the symphony progresses.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 04:16:33 AM »
That’s a very good point, Barry.

My “ideal timings” would be something like 23:00, 15:30, 9:45, 12:30, 17:00 = 1:17:45

Actually, that’s a pretty fun topic of discussion.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 04:39:52 AM »
Yep. That looks about right to me too. It's one big reason I like Vanska's M7 as much as I do. And when the big, ugly, minor keyed main theme from the first movement comes back near the end of the finale, Vanska brings it back at a slightly slower tempo than usual, not faster (as is almost always the case). That works for me. It makes that theme seem as though a big ogre has entered the party going on. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk