Author Topic: Presto showing March 5 release for Vanska/Minnesota M10 - no cover art yet.  (Read 3982 times)

Online erikwilson7

I can’t imagine what late Mahler is going to sound like from this team. The only point of reference we have is the Gilbert M9 from BIS, which is one of my favorites.

Offline John Kim

After the Tenth, they will release a Third.

John

Offline barryguerrero

.   .    .   that's assuming the 3rd gets performed this March (I think it's March - sometime early 2021).

Online erikwilson7

I’m wondering if the pandemic has postponed the finishing of this cycle, or even canceled part of it. Anyone know anything about 8 or 9? And I know Vänskä’s time with Minnesota is almost over.

Offline barryguerrero

Knowing a bit about how R. von Bahr operates, I'm certain he'd like to present a complete cycle. The rest is up to Covid and Vanska/M.S.O. Even if his term runs out, both parties may want to complete the cycle as well.

Offline John Kim

Timings are,

I. 26:21/ II. 11:27/ III. 4:14/ IV. 11:50/ V. 23:14 = 78:20

In Japan it will be released on January 20, 2021.

https://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Mahler-1860-1911_000000000019272/item_-Cooke-Symphony-No-10-Osmo-Vanska-Minnesota-Orchestra-Hybrid_11464970

John

Online erikwilson7

First movement seems a little slow for my taste, but I like the look of that finale. I’m basing my preferences off my favorite, the Dausgaard.

Offline barryguerrero

Yep. I'm not crazy about a 26 minute first movement either. But if anyone can make that work, it's Vaenska. It's interesting that he goes relatively fast from there on.

Online erikwilson7

Cover art is on Presto for this release, as well as the timings (which we already knew).

Cover looks great as always!

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8863810--mahler-symphony-no-10

Offline John Kim

In Japan it will be released on 1/20.

Offline John Kim

Olson and Litton both took over 26 min. in I. and very successfully held it together. I think the movement can survive 26 min duration (Wyn Morris' version runs over 28 min!).

John

Online erikwilson7

Maybe it’s just me, but the first movement of M10 feels like it just drags on and on. I like what Dausgaard does with it in 23:16

I’m not ruling anything out though. In fact, I even like what Yannick N-S does with it in 26:27 for his Montréal recording.

Offline barryguerrero

.    .    .  25:30 in his Rotterdam Phil. one, which I think is much better than his Montreal one. But like you, Erik, I prefer that all those long worked-out development passages just flow right along. 23:16 works great for me too. Most likely I won't buy the Vanska, simply because I just don't need yet another really good recording of the Cooke version.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 06:18:21 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline John Kim

Andrew Litton took (Carpenter ed.),

26'23", 13'10", 4'13", 14'19", 20'50" and it worked great.

I really like the long Adagio- (relatively) short Finale proportion.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk