Author Topic: Bamberg begins a second complete Mahler cycle, with Hrusa.  (Read 3121 times)

Offline John Kim

Re: Bamberg begins a second complete Mahler cycle, with Hrusa.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 07:45:30 PM »
Barry,

That's great news. I was immensely impressed with Hrusa's BRSO recording of Suk Asrael.

John
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 07:48:48 PM by John Kim »

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 08:38:58 PM »
This would be great. It has the same cover art style as the Blomstedt M9, so maybe it’s just a continuation of this cycle with different conductors? I hope we get more with Hrusa. I like his Brahms/Dvořák series a lot.

Online barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 10:11:25 PM »
You're right - I may be jumping the gun on that. Have you tried any of the Libor Pesek Mahler?    .     .   .   I'm not sure just how available it really is.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 04:00:49 PM »
Presto samples and timings available for this one now.

Wow, a QUICK second movement (8:27). Did Hruša forget the meaning of ohne Hast?

Anna Lucia Richter’s voice sounds splendid to me.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8865979--mahler-symphony-no-4

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 02:43:34 AM »
This recording is now available for digital download on Presto. My guess is it will also be available to stream on Spotify, et al. at midnight Eastern (US).

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 05:06:26 AM »
Well, this is confusing: I'm listening to this on Spotify right now, and the scherzo clocks in at 9:35, nowhere near the 8:27 listed on Presto. All of the other movements are correct, however.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 07:01:03 PM »
Conductor Jakub Hrusa's first Mahler outing doesn't disappoint. This is a beautifully molded Mahler Fourth, gorgeously played and recorded.

I really like the way tam tam is pounded out 25 something times heading into the first climax of I. In most recordings and concerts I've heard they are all but audible. Hrusa takes a great care in making them not only audible but also gradually built up towards the climax. Very nice.

I look forward to more Mahler from Hrusa.

John
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 07:19:04 PM by John Kim »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 08:38:40 PM »
Another highlight: Hrusa slows down quite a bit in the interludes of the Scherzo (II.) evoking relaxed, romantic feelings, imparting a wonderful contrast in the moods that are predominantly wicked and spooky.

Soprano Anna Lucia Richter doesn't have the childlike timbre in her voice, but she skillfully sings without parody (as per Mahler's instruction). This is clearly a mature adult's vision of Heaven filtered with the child's mind and naivete.

John

Online barryguerrero

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 10:13:55 PM »
John, thank you for your detailed review. I think once this Covid time-out is over with, Hrusa may be in serious demand around the globe. He's quickly getting a good reputation.

Offline Freddy van Maurik

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 03:02:15 PM »
Hi all,

Having received the new issue of BBC Music Magazine this morning, with an excellent rendition of Suk's Praga on its cover disc, I remembered having read about his M2 with the Philharmonia Orchestra sometime in February of 2020. BBC Radio 3 broadcasted it in March 2020, but the broadcast is 'currently unavailable' through the BBC website. If anyone happens to have a recording of this, I'd be most grateful for a link.
Thanks!

Cheers,
Freddy

Offline John Kim

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 06:10:00 PM »
Freddy

I did sample that audio of M2nd. But the audio quality was so subpar I didn't bother a few minutes into the 1st movt, as I recall.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk