Author Topic: MusicWeb Mahler 1 review  (Read 3064 times)

Offline ChrisH

MusicWeb Mahler 1 review
« on: January 04, 2021, 02:50:04 PM »
Musicweb-international.com has published a large, exhaustive comparison of recordings of the Mahler 1. The document is 84 pages! This sounds like an attempt to update the late Tony Duggans writing. I have not made my way through the entire document, it's a pretty fun read so far, and to think of making your way through all of these recordings.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2020/Dec/Mahler-sy1-survey-LD.pdf

Offline erikwilson7

Re: MusicWeb Mahler 1 review
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 03:54:21 PM »
Just skimmed this. That was a very fun read, and I learned quite a bit already! I think I agree with most of their ratings too. There’s also a recent Music Web document like this for Das Lied, but that’s it so far. I hope they continue this endeavor through Mahler because it’s a useful tool to have.

I’m checking out the François-Xavier Roth / Baden-Baden recording they gave a 9.5/10 to (NOT the recent one of Titan) right now. It’s exciting as hell.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 07:18:34 PM »

I’m checking out the François-Xavier Roth / Baden-Baden recording they gave a 9.5/10 to (NOT the recent one of Titan) right now. It’s exciting as hell.

That is a really good 1st. His recording of 'Titan' is one I really enjoy, too. He gets such a cohesive sound out of his period band. He has an excellent 3rd, and a 5th I should revisit in the near future. If you enjoy Daphnis and Chloe, his recording of that is essential, in my book.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 08:56:53 PM »
I liked Roth's 3rd more than the 5th. He's doing better things with that orchestra than Stenz did, much as I enjoy some of Stenz's Cologne recordings.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 05:18:23 PM »
I enjoyed reading that survey. Is the Czech Philharmonic Kobayashi M1 to other's liking, as much as the reviewer? I'm curious, but can't find anything about it...even in an Inter-Library Loan catalog.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 07:31:30 PM »
I've never heard any of Kobayashi's Mahler. Czech Phil recordings are hard to find in general for some reason. That also applies to the newer Inbal ones on Exton, a label already difficult to find in the US.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 08:50:18 PM »
I think a kind soul lent me his M3, which was good. I've read he's quite the grunter/singer, much like Inbal. Some of the stuff is cheap as Amazon downloads...but other stuff just doesn't seem to be available here.

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 04:28:46 AM »
Is the Czech Philharmonic Kobayashi M1 to other's liking, as much as the reviewer? I'm curious, but can't find anything about it...even in an Inter-Library Loan catalog.

Perhaps the reason you're having trouble finding it is that it's not with the Czech Philharmonic but rather with the Japan Philharmonic (although it was recorded in Prague). Most of Kobayashi's Mahler on EXTON is with that Japanese orchestra, the exception being M3 which is with the CzPO. Of that set I have 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7, although I haven't listened to any of them in quite some time. Kobayashi is indeed quite noisy on the podium.

If you want to hear the CzPO play Mahler symphonies on EXTON, you may have to turn to Vaclav Neumann, who has done most (all?) of them.
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 04:34:14 AM »
I’ve heard most of the Neumann / Czech Phil Mahler recordings on Supraphon. It’s actually a very good cycle, with some odd idiosyncrasies (like choice of percussion; they use a struck cymbal in most of M5 instead of plates). I found the M2, M3, and M8 to be particularly good.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2021, 09:29:59 PM »
Is the Czech Philharmonic Kobayashi M1 to other's liking, as much as the reviewer? I'm curious, but can't find anything about it...even in an Inter-Library Loan catalog.

Perhaps the reason you're having trouble finding it is that it's not with the Czech Philharmonic but rather with the Japan Philharmonic (although it was recorded in Prague). Most of Kobayashi's Mahler on EXTON is with that Japanese orchestra, the exception being M3 which is with the CzPO. Of that set I have 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7, although I haven't listened to any of them in quite some time. Kobayashi is indeed quite noisy on the podium.

If you want to hear the CzPO play Mahler symphonies on EXTON, you may have to turn to Vaclav Neumann, who has done most (all?) of them.

He recorded it at least twice. This is the Czech Philharmonic version. https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=4904

Offline sbugala

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 04:32:39 PM »
I read the survey, and tried one that I had seen in cheap classical sections numerous times, and always dismissed: Arpad Joó and the Amsterdam Philharmonic. It’s great fun! Well worth streaming or spending a $1 if you ever encounter it. I may see what trade I have and hunt for it at my local used record store. Very rewarding. Has anyone else heard it? I’ll search our archives for mentions.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2021, 10:17:18 PM »
I have no idea what these people recommend, nor do I care. However, I'll share some 'off the beaten track' M1 recordings that I really like.

If it weren't for the annoying cut in the finale, the Paul Kletzki/Vienna Phil. one would be at the top of my list. The Wakasugi/Dresden Staatskapelle one is very satisfying. It has the right degree of rusticity to it. A 'sleeper' is the Eschenbach/RSO Berlin one, which also came with a very good set of Ruckert Lieder (I'm told that the Eschenbach/Houston one is also real good). Honeck/Pittsburgh is very powerful, but also rare and expensive. I really like the recent Adam Fischer/Dusseldorf one. It's similar to the M1 that his brother made in Budapest, but has more rusticity to it.

For one that reinserts "Blumine" into the second movement position, I really love the Jurowski/London Phil. one (I wish the LPO would release more Jurowski Mahler). On DVD, Bernstein/Vienna is very special, but I like Fabio Luisi/Dresden Staatskapelle even more.

For an sacd/cd hybrid, I'm pretty satisfied with J. Nott/Bamberg.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk