Author Topic: Honeck/PSO/Exton M1st - phenomenal!  (Read 2738 times)

Offline John Kim

Honeck/PSO/Exton M1st - phenomenal!
« on: January 12, 2021, 10:00:49 PM »
This recording hits the ball out of the park, a 1,000 ft home run!

John

Offline barryguerrero

Re: Honeck/PSO/Exton M1st - phenomenal!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 03:32:23 AM »
Have you heard their M3? To me, that one is even more amazing. I'm glad you liked it.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 04:05:01 AM »
I love this M1, and the M3. I just find the brass a bit too pronounced in the M3 (in the mix), even though they play like gods.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 02:14:11 PM »
I love this M1, and the M3. I just find the brass a bit too pronounced in the M3 (in the mix), even though they play like gods.
Their brass section sounds a lot better after a certain player retired. There was a player whose idea of dynamics didn't fall below forte. Check out their Bruckner 9 and hear how much balanced they sound.

On another note, it's sad that we won't see any more Mahler from this group. I don't think Reference Recordings has the rights to record Mahler, it still  lies with Exton.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 09:54:42 PM »
What I heard from Reference Recording is maestro Honeck decides what to record for the company. So, Honeck/PSO/Reference Mahler is still possible.

Btw, the next SACD by this team will be Beethoven 9th in February.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 10:07:45 PM »
How appropriate to do Beethoven 9. I'm actually looking forward to that, mostly for the scherzo. Frankly, I'm not big on that work otherwise. I prefer Beethoven's 3, 5, and 7.

Speaking of which, this team's Beethoven 3 was unbelievably good. My favorite ever. Their Beethoven 5 and 7 coupling was also stellar.

It seems almost anything the Honeck/Pittsburgh team touches is bound to be good. But I actually agreed with Dave Hurwitz that their recent Tchaikovsky 4 was a bit disappointing.

They should do more Bruckner! The Fifth!!!

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 11:31:49 PM »
What I heard from Reference Recording is maestro Honeck decides what to record for the company. So, Honeck/PSO/Reference Mahler is still possible.

Thanks for that info, John. It would be nice to have an entire cycle from them. Though, a 6th and 7th might be enough for me.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 11:34:04 PM »

It seems almost anything the Honeck/Pittsburgh team touches is bound to be good. But I actually agreed with Dave Hurwitz that their recent Tchaikovsky 4 was a bit disappointing.

Their Tchaik 4 is a true audiophile recording. The dynamic range is so extreme, and it's recorded so well. Based purely on sound, it's top tier.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 12:36:08 AM »
Bruckner 5 would be a perfect fit. There hasn't been a good American one since Barenboim/Chicago.

The problem with the Mahler thing is that Exton is still sitting on a Honeck/PSO M6 and M2. The logical thing would be for Exton to sell the rights to the Mahler releases to Reference Recordings, but nooooooooooooooo!

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 12:45:07 AM »
I want to hear that Pittsburgh horn section at the end of Bruckner 5

Offline John Kim

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 05:48:12 AM »
Exton is still sitting on a Honeck/PSO M9th too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk