General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Esoteric releases SACD version of Boulez/VPO/DG Mahler 6th

<< < (2/2)

barryguerrero:
Boulez/V.P.O. is my #1 recommendation for Mahler 6 to 'newbies'. It's proportioned so perfectly. Tempo relationships are pretty much perfect too.

I wish the Maazel/V.P.O. M6 could be issued on a single disc, but I guess it's a tad too long. I like that one quite a bit too.

For DVD's of M2, I like Boulez/Berlin Staatskapelle, Chailly/Leipzig Gewandhaus and A. Nelsons/V.P.O. (Salzburg Festival). I haven't seen the Paavo Jarvi one, but I believe it's nearly identical to the CD that got issued on Virgin Classics (Frankfurt). I'm not a big fan of Bernstein's L.S.O. video.

erikwilson7:
I recently bought the Chailly/Leipzig M2. It's truly amazing, and perfectly paced. If it were on disc it would be my #1 M2

barryguerrero:
It's a pity that they didn't do a Chailly/Leipzig M3. I like Chailly's fast M7, but I wish he'd gone slower for the first two movements, like he did in Amsterdam.

When it comes to the 7th, it seems all conductors are either go slow the entire duration, or fast for the entire duration. It dawns on very few of them to go slower in the earlier movements and gradually speed up as the symphony progresses.

erikwilson7:
That’s a very good point, Barry.

My “ideal timings” would be something like 23:00, 15:30, 9:45, 12:30, 17:00 = 1:17:45

Actually, that’s a pretty fun topic of discussion.

barryguerrero:
Yep. That looks about right to me too. It's one big reason I like Vanska's M7 as much as I do. And when the big, ugly, minor keyed main theme from the first movement comes back near the end of the finale, Vanska brings it back at a slightly slower tempo than usual, not faster (as is almost always the case). That works for me. It makes that theme seem as though a big ogre has entered the party going on. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version