Author Topic: Gielen's Das klagende Lied: a completed legacy  (Read 2994 times)

Offline erikwilson7

Gielen's Das klagende Lied: a completed legacy
« on: January 20, 2021, 09:56:55 PM »
The late Michael Gielen will become the first conductor in history to have recorded every single work by Mahler for orchestra (and orchestra + voice). This includes every symphony and a completed Tenth, every song cycle, and now Das klagende Lied.

A recording of Das klagende Lied is due out next month from Orfeo, a live recording with the Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra. It's not a part of his SWR cycle, but nevertheless this is the final work needed to culminate in an extraordinary historical first. It will also be the three-part mixed version.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8866051--gustav-mahler-das-klagende-lied

Offline barryguerrero

Re: Gielen's Das klagende Lied: a completed legacy
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 11:24:51 PM »
While Gielen isn't/wasn't always my favorite by any means, his dedication and contribution to Mahler will never be questioned.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 11:29:41 PM »
I’m a big fan of Gielen’s M1, M3, and M5. I find almost all the others to be mostly very good too. I’m just not big on his M4, but it’s still alright.

Offline waderice

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 01:26:32 PM »
Looking forward to getting Gielen's DkL.

While the choir in his M2 is small in numbers, it has some of the best singing of the choral part I've ever heard.  Very smooth, not harsh, and no shouting.

Wade

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 04:03:40 PM »
Gielen is one of my favorite conductors, period. I will be picking this up on release. For some reason, I really enjoy his 6th. It's quite slow, and treads quite heavy, but it's so damn apocolyptic. Somewhat similar to Chailly/RCO, but with less polish; for the better, I think.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 05:00:56 PM »
Agreed. That Sixth is spectacular and I forgot to mention it. I think the 6th does need some grit and dirtiness, which is also why I think Harding’s BRSO M6 works so well. Oh, and the famous Sanderling recording.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 08:02:53 PM »
I may belong to the minority group, but Gielen is not in general my cup of tea when it comes to Mahler. I LOVE his M7th and M6th & M10 too are high on my list, but it's the orchestra that is not to my liking. I think SWR is far more fitting to play modern music. For Mahler, I much prefer RCO, BRSO, CPO, and even BPO.

John

Offline waderice

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 06:45:52 PM »
My copy of this Gielen DkL arrived yesterday, and it is every bit as good as promised!

Though tempi are rather on the brisk side (particularly in Part I), that doesn't detract from the drama as the story unfolds.  Sound in the Wienerkonzerthaus as recorded on June 8, 1990 is quite good, with percussion somewhat emphasized to possibly add to the performance's impact.  Looking at the date of the recording, the booklet doesn't indicate whether or not the recording was digitally-mastered, though by this date, I ought to presume that it was.  Soloists are overall quite good, and sing clearly.  The choir in some sections sounds a little on the weak side, though it sings good.  Orchestral playing is good (the Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra), though not as good as in the London Philharmonic video DVD recording conducted by Vladimir Jurowski.

If you enjoy Gielen's Mahler, this recording is a must-get.  With this addition to the catalog, we now have a first - a FULLY COMPLETE recorded Mahler repertoire by one conductor!

While listening to this performance, I happened to think - with the outcome of the story behind DkL, Mahler seems to prognosticate his later end result in his Sixth Symphony - death without resurrection.  What do the rest of you think?

Wade

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 09:44:23 PM »
Yes Wade, I think that makes a lot of sense. Good point. Also, thank you for your very detailed review of this. It's truly a milestone for Mr. Gielen.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk