General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

M6/Gielen/Salzburg 2013

<< < (2/6) > >>

barryguerrero:
Looking at Amazon, I see now that the applause took the last two minutes of the finale, so it's not so terrible. Still,   .    .    . 

erikwilson7:
I don’t think slower is better. I don’t think Gielen does either. He takes a normal 15:47 for the Andante. To me, Gielen finds a purpose in having some of the music be slow and extremely heavy/dark.

barryguerrero:
Fair enough. I still won't partake, because I have too many M6 recordings now and I'm waiting for an eventual Adam Fischer/Dusseldorf one (I love their M9).

erikwilson7:
Oh, me too. For sure. Overall I prefer a quicker M6. My ideal timings would be like something around 23:00, 12:30, 15:00, 29:00 = 79:30

I’m just appreciating this artistic interpretation.

Very much looking forward to the À. Fischer M2 and M6. I have a feeling those will both be single disc. Fischer said he wouldn’t record M10/I because it would be pointless to put on disc alone (he also said he wouldn’t record a full M10). That makes me think he is being conscious of disc cost for the record label. In other words, if he can do a single disc M2 and M6, he’ll do it. The only one on multiple discs so far has been the M3, because it must be.

barryguerrero:
One thing I like about the Barbirolli M6, is that he leaves out the expo. repeat. If you're going to do the first movement at a very slow tempo, then leave it out. That's my preference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version