Author Topic: Vanska/BIS M10 - I'm buying autographed copy through the M.O.  (Read 5062 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Vanska/BIS M10 - I'm buying autographed copy through the M.O.
« on: February 03, 2021, 11:18:30 PM »
The first 250 to purchase a copy through the Minnesota Orch. will get their copy autographed by Osmo Vanska. What the heck! - I want to support this project, even though I need yet another Cooke III like a hole in my head. Total cost with shipping is $26. I'm hoping they'll eventually finish this cycle.

Offline erikwilson7

Re: Vanska/BIS M10 - I'm buying autographed copy through the M.O.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 12:02:10 AM »
That's one heck of a deal! I'm still holding onto hopes that the M3 will be surprisingly good. Someday...

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 06:29:45 AM »
Yeah, not bad. I have Amazon Prime, so good-old Amazon would have been have been a bit cheaper. But then again, I'm getting really annoyed with Jeff Beezos.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 04:29:11 PM »
I grabbed a copy too. Now, I've got to make my way through all that has been released so far.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 07:57:05 PM »
A Japanese buyer gave it a rave review:

"It's a really great performance. Concentration, analysis, empathy, all of which are highly evaluated. Vänskä seems to have given the Frankenstein, who is full of patches, not only a life but also a heart to admire with a flower. In this case, Mahler in the shade of the grass must forgive it with a bitter smile."

John
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 08:01:17 PM by John Kim »

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 08:21:53 PM »
Sounds fantastic. Makes me look forward to their M9.

Offline Freddy van Maurik

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 02:08:59 PM »
Hi all,

I've listened to this M10 this morning, through Primephonic (my cd-collection is stored at my parents' house for some 6 months, because we're moving house in April, so I granted myself a premium Primephonic-account :)).
I wasn't able to listen with great attention - working at home while in lockdown with my wife and kids doesn't help focussing - but my first impression was that this is a worthwhile addition to the Vänska Mahler series and to my M10-collection.
I'm curious to know what you guys think of it after listening.

Cheers,
Freddy

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 02:48:21 PM »
I was listening to parts of it too last night! On Idagio. Lossless FLAC. It reminds me a lot of the Gielen M10, and pretty much just as good. I’ll have to hear the whole thing straight through.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 03:06:31 PM »
The playing in the middle three movements is astounding to me. Especially the coda of movement 2 when Vänskä accelerates. Those trumpets!

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 03:11:42 PM »
Vänskä only holds the very last chord for like 6 seconds. I wonder why he’s in a rush to cut off Mahler’s very last notes.

I really like how Chailly and Nézet-Séguin hold it for like 20 seconds and let it fade to nothing.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 07:21:00 PM »
>> Vänskä only holds the very last chord for like 6 seconds. I wonder why he’s in a rush to cut off Mahler’s very last notes.

--> Could it be an editing issue?

Karajan/BPO/DG Mahler 9 (live) also abruptly cuts off at the end of the Adagio (IV). For me it nearly ruins the entire movement.

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2021, 07:22:43 PM »
This is very, very good. However, I can only be so enthused about another, yet, very good Cooke III. I still think it's dumb to link the last two movements with two, separate solo bass drum strokes. I don't care if Mahler wrote down 11 solo bass drum strokes, as in Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring". Some creativity is needed there. Do the first one waaay offstage and loud. Then do the second one onstage and softer. If you don't like that idea, switch 'em around. Mix and match. Don't just sit there and keep walloping the bass drum over and over. Tailor the strokes to match where the music is going to.

Just speaking for myself, I hear the passage in the finale, beginning at 20:20 and going to about 20:45, as being loud - really loud (not soft), as in the Samale/Mazzuca version. That's just me. I've thought that from the very first time I heard the Ormandy recording, back in the mid 1970's.

As for the length of the final note, I don't care so much. The dude is already dead by that point. Sure, a bit longer would have been nicer. I agree that it MUST be longer at the end of M9.

Now here's a crazy idea you really won't like:  I would end M10 with a volley of offstage cowbells. Lots of them - located waaay offstage, so that you get a more realistic effect. I'd let 'em tinkle away for a good 10 seconds. I might even discretely pipe them in through the sound system (softly!), so the audience can have the feeling of being enveloped by distant cowbells. Think of the ending of the Ives 4th symphony (it's magical!).

« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 01:35:16 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2021, 07:25:39 PM »
Barry I agree. I’m sure Mahler would’ve done something differently had he actually completed it.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2021, 07:32:32 PM »
It’s funny, Vänskä continues to be particularly good in scherzos. True for every recording so far.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2021, 07:37:00 PM »
Yep.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk