Author Topic: Haitink/Kerstmatinee M7 is great!  (Read 1833 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Haitink/Kerstmatinee M7 is great!
« on: February 06, 2021, 10:43:39 PM »
Haitink's Kerstmatinee M7 is terrific, and is the perfect compliment (or foil) to the Vanska M7. How so?    .    .    .  The Vanska is recorded closer and is very detailed. The Haitink is recorded with a 'farther back' perspective. You get to revel in just how outrageous Mahler's finale comes across when you're sitting farther out in the hall. Unfortunately, the finale is on a second disc which also has the first movement of M9 (also outstanding, by the way). The 19 minute timing for the finale is misleading, as the applause is kept on. 17:40 is more accurate. Haitink's first movement to M7 is really outstanding. The tenor horn really 'roars like the sound of nature". The middle, 'moonlit' slow section is beautifully done. The duet between the bass trombone and tenor horn is really nasty (as it should be). It's just great. Haitink and the Concertgebouw really kept M7 honed to knife's edge in those days. I was told they took it out and played it every year. His Berlin one was very clinical and joyless in comparison.

Offline John Kim

Re: Haitink/Kerstmatinee M7 is great!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 07:00:36 PM »
I have the recording and I have always held my stance that this is Haitink's finest M7th.

John

Offline John Kim

Re: Haitink/Kerstmatinee M7 is great!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 07:42:09 PM »
Having said it I find Haitink's first studio M7 with RCO is also excellent.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk