General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

YNS/Philadelphia Orch/DG Rach First + Symphonic Dance (off topic)

<< < (2/4) > >>

ChrisH:
A good friend is also raving about it. I have not yet had a chance to listen. He is, kind of an expert on this work. When he was 10, in 1956, he got copy of the score from the Library of Congress, and hand copied it over the 6 weeks he had it in his possession. He says to me, "You know, we couldn't just order a Dover score over Amazon back then."

I enjoy all of Rachs orchestral works but, first discovered him when my roommate in high school performed the 2nd piano concerto for our concerto competition. He then turned me on to the rest of his works through the course of the year.

barryguerrero:
D.H. clearly does not like Nezet-Seguin's work. I do. I have this and would give it a 10/10. I'm happy with it and I don't care what anyone else thinks.

erikwilson7:
I think YNS is one of the most versatile conductors out there right now. I like just about everything he does. Even his polarizing Bruckner cycle!

Freddy van Maurik:
Hi all,

I wholeheartedly second Barry's 10/10. I also like Yannick N-S's work in general, and this one ranks among the best, imho.
The recording lets us feast our ears on the lavishly beautiful orchestral playing (on thát I agree with D.H.) and N-S gives us perfectly convincing broad tempi and wonderfully prepared climaxes. To me this is by no means "passionless", as D.H. puts it.

Cheers,
Freddy

erikwilson7:
Respectfully, I think DH cherry picks his conductors. I'm sure he has his reasons.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version