General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Hey folks, any BPO reviews? Dudamel M3? Rattle's M7 or M8?

<< < (2/6) > >>

erikwilson7:
I don’t have the set, and I haven’t heard them yet. I forgot if I’ve posted the Music Web review of the cycle, but the reviewer says that the Dudamel M3 and M5 are the highlights of the cycle.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/Mar/Mahler-sys-BPHR200361.htm

barryguerrero:
I'm not familiar with John Quinn, but he seems to know his Mahler quite well. This is a pretty strong plug for the set. Of course, Naxos is probably the American distributor. I may still 'spring' for the downloads. I don't need another box of discs.

erikwilson7:
I’ve really liked what I heard so far on Spotify (6 and 7). I’m wondering what’s next. We should probably expect the next sample track this week or next, with the next full symphony release the following week.

barryguerrero:
We'll see. The Dudamel M3 may be a selling point for me. I have the DG 'twofer' of Abbado doing M3 with the BPO. It's OK - nothing THAT special, to me. I do like that it has all those extra tracks within each movement. As for M5, I've always liked the Karajan. We know Petrenko's M6 and Rattle's M7 are quite good. Rattle's M8 will be my other 'selling point'. We get a slow Haitink M9 too, and that's fine. The B.P.O. always does a good M9. I couldn't care less about Abbado's M10/Adagio - I would never judge the set by that.

If this same line up conductors had been done with the Dresden Staatskapelle, I'd probably snap it up in an instant. They're more 'colorful' sounding. I find listening to Mahler with the Dresdeners more interesting and involving, some how. I think the Philharmonie swallows up a lot of the color in the sound.

erikwilson7:
I watched the Rattle M8 on the BPO website (paid subscription) and found it to be better than his CBSO account in nearly every way. Hopefully they use the same performance for the cycle. Even better, hopefully they patch in stuff from other nights and rehearsals. That's what it seems like they're doing so far. A live M7 with a quick and exciting finale and no applause? I don't buy it! Ha

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version