Author Topic: Hey folks, any BPO reviews? Dudamel M3? Rattle's M7 or M8?  (Read 5007 times)

Offline erikwilson7

Re: Hey folks, any BPO reviews? Dudamel M3? Rattle's M7 or M8?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2021, 12:28:08 PM »
Haitink’s new M9 will be the next digital release. The second movement is now on Spotify, and next week we’ll probably get the rest of the symphony.

Admittedly I’m least excited about this one. Haitink already has two damn-near perfect M9s (his original one on Philips and the BRSO one from about 10 years ago). The BRSO one was basically just a remake of his original, so at least with this new one he has something new to say: it’s 10 minutes slower.
Haitink is a master of this symphony, but a Rondo-Burleske that’s over 15 mins long? Really? We’ll see how that goes. Gielen’s studio account approaches 15 mins, but with him we get a heavy, grotesque, gnarly reading, almost like it’s heavy metal.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2021, 02:32:55 PM »
I don't mind it so much. His Berlin Philips cycle was cancelled before they got to his M9. I still sort of dream of it being recorded...just never released. Maybe it would've been a dud. Anyway...I look forward to this as soon as it hits Amazon's digital library.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2021, 03:25:59 PM »
Yeah, you're right. Regardless of any nitpicky "complaints" I have I'm sure it will still be a very good M9.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2021, 02:17:11 PM »
The Dudamel M3 is the next release! Second movement is out on Spotify now, and the rest should come out in a week or two.

Not much to go on with the second movement, but it sounds fine to me.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2021, 05:05:56 PM »
Exactly. The second movement sounds quite good, including just the sonics of it. We really don't have long to wait for the rest of it.  If I like the Dudamel M3, I'll probably purchase a download of it - just to support their project to some extent.

I just watched a live broadcast of Mahler 4 from the Concertgebouw with Dudamel conducting (reduced orchestra and very small audience). Camilla Tilling was the soprano. Really, Dudamel is a far better Mahler conductor than most people think. Of course, it never hurts to have the world's best orchestras in front of you.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 07:22:00 PM by barryguerrero »

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2021, 07:41:01 PM »
Yup, agreed about Dudamel. I’ve said this on this board before: everyone has their hits and misses but Dudamel’s hits are REALLY good.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2021, 07:10:06 AM »
Eric, have you listened to the Dudamel/B.P.O. M3 yet?    .    .    .   I think it's pretty darn good, and competitive with the best. It's easily the best one I've heard with the B.P.O. - more muscular and interesting sounding than the Abbado, that's for sure.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2021, 08:24:30 PM »
I know I tend to use superlatives a lot, but this recording is absolutely fantastic. It may be my new favorite recording of M3, and I think it stands with the best. Too early to tell, but it may become one of the great M3s.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2021, 08:37:10 PM »
I need to listen to it in full, but what I heard sounded great. Dave Hurwitz always brings up the alternating salvos between the tam-tam and suspended cymbals, during the middle section of the choral "bim-bam" movement. He sure as heck couldn't complain about that here! The start and the end of the scherzo movement is just amazing.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2021, 12:08:45 PM »
The Harding M1 is next. First movement as a sample is out on Spotify. I actually think this movement in particular sounds very good. The last few minutes are exciting as hell.

Let’s hope the rest sounds as good as this. A mediocre third movement will usually spoil it for me.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2021, 05:28:35 PM »
Hey folks,

I'll tell you what, I think Dudamel has grown and matured to become a major conductor. Most of what he is doing now deserves close attention and lots of admiration. I love his Ives cycle, Mahler 5, 8, (I have yet to fully immerse into his BPO M3rd), Brahms 4th, Strauss ASZ.

John
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 05:37:53 PM by John Kim »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk