Author Topic: Mahler 3/Presidents Own Marine Band/  (Read 3145 times)

Offline ChrisH

Mahler 3/Presidents Own Marine Band/
« on: May 30, 2021, 03:27:21 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfVmrThm0nU

A friend who plays in the Air Force Ceremonial Brass sent me this. This is pretty incredible. It's interesting to have a concert band filled with members who should all have orchestral jobs.

Offline barryguerrero

Re: Mahler 3/Presidents Own Marine Band/
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 05:28:32 PM »
Military bands are the best opportunity for young, talented players. If anything, I think orchestral jobs might be even scarce in the future. Frankly, I wish I had done that myself, decades ago.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 02:29:17 PM »
I agree 100% with you on this Barry. Sadly, the military has been cutting bands out the past 6-7 years. These showcase bands are safe, but the hundreds of others are facing drastic cuts.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 07:44:02 PM »
Of course. They have to keep their defense contractor buddies happy making thousands of expensive 'smart' weapons.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 04:34:22 PM »
This is a superb performance I stumbled upon last year. The final movement is out there, too. But it's only 9 minutes, if I recall. It makes me wonder if someone could do the third movement in a convincing fashion.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 07:49:47 PM »
It makes me wonder if someone could do the third movement in a convincing fashion.

My thoughts exactly. I was shocked at just how convincing this 1st movement was. They also recorded a damned good Pines of Rome, too. The woodwind parts sound fiendishly difficult in the arrangement.

Offline Toblacher

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 05:56:11 PM »
The guy in the front row with the white beard is falling asleep!

Offline sbugala

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 07:32:34 PM »
According to the YouTube comments, supposedly despite falling asleep; that guy is their super fan...and shows up to every concert.

Offline waderice

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 05:59:56 PM »
According to the YouTube comments, supposedly despite falling asleep; that guy is their super fan...and shows up to every concert.
What the band needs to do is the last movement of M6, and when the final hammer blow happens, that'll definitely wake him up!  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk