Author Topic: Has anyone heard Dudamel/BPO M5th?  (Read 2328 times)

Offline John Kim

Has anyone heard Dudamel/BPO M5th?
« on: July 12, 2021, 05:55:21 AM »
I like Dudamel's recording of the work on DG very much (I like his DG M7th even more!), so naturally I'm curious about the Berlin recording.

John

Offline barryguerrero

Re: Has anyone heard Dudamel/BPO M5th?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 09:59:10 AM »
The 5th is one that the B.P.O. nearly always does well. If Abbado couldn't kill it during his sedated, 'boring' period, then it ought to be fine under Dudamel. Even Haitink's 13-something minute Adagietto couldn't kill it.

As for Dudamel's M7, I like it very much also. I just wish it had been recorded with the L.A. Phil. instead, but his big youth orchestra isn't bad at all.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 10:21:03 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 07:31:50 PM »
Barry

The playing of the Venezuela youth orchestra in the Dudamel's M7 doesn't bother me at all. I think they're terrific and as good as any world orchestras.

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 08:07:50 PM »
The execution is fine. I just think the L.A. Phil. would have produced, perhaps, an appropriately 'darker' sound, and with certainly better sounding percussion instruments. But being a fully unionized, professional orchestra, they might have 'underplayed' it too. That's always a possibility. For the most part, I agree with you.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 08:12:04 PM by barryguerrero »

Offline waderice

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 11:51:51 PM »
I haven't heard this particular one, but I've had for quite a while, his NYPO account of M5.  A great performance!

Wade

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk