Author Topic: The strange case of the Jurowski M8 release from the LPO  (Read 2887 times)

Offline barryguerrero

The strange case of the Jurowski M8 release from the LPO
« on: August 13, 2021, 04:14:07 AM »
Having spent several decades in the record industry, I just don't get it! How is it that the Jurowski M8 release shows at a few obscure online CD sellers (CD Imports being among them), yet there's nothing about it at Presto Classical, Amazon U.S., Amazon U.K., or even the LPO's own website!  How does that even happen?

Offline erikwilson7

Re: The strange case of the Jurowski M8 release from the LPO
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 04:42:03 AM »
I don’t get it either. Even independent orchestra labels like this one usually get more exposure, and the LPO isn’t a small name. Neither is Jurowski. Neither is Mahler!

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 05:27:10 AM »
The industry itself is just so screwed up. Look what a complete mess DG has made of everything!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 06:16:28 PM by barryguerrero »

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 12:29:56 PM »
I don’t really understand what DG is anymore. Are they just a giant conglomerate that people send / sell their recordings to and they release it under the name DG? Their product is very inconsistent in sound quality, unlike most other labels. With other labels, whether the sound is bad or good at least it’s consistent.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 04:49:29 PM »
It's simple: the classical music market, if not classical music, is DECLINING.

John

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 05:25:50 PM »
It's simple: the classical music market, if not classical music, is DECLINING.

John

This is the correct answer, I think. Also, streaming has altered this as well. There's no need for mass promotion of something when you can throw it up on Spotify, Primephonic, or Idagio and feed it directly to who is most interested. There's also the constant push of the old guard, too. Why would I need a  Jurowski M8 when I can choose Horenstein, Bernstein, Solti or Haitink!

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 05:41:54 PM »
Think about this. Today, major record labels are throwing their old stuff into massive box sets, rather than making new recordings. THAT is a sure sign of the decline I am talking about.

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 06:21:59 PM »
Yes, of course it's in decline. Everything is, except rich billionaires wanting to launch themselves into space. My question is, how is it that a few obscure online sellers are able to get a release date and a cover photo of an ACTUAL CD RELEASE, yet the LPO itself has zero information (not to mention major sellers such as Amazon and Presto Classical)?     .     .     .      .    decline or no decline, how's that even possible?

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2021, 06:36:45 PM »
Is it in decline or is it stagnate as everything else grows (population, music genres, music platforms, etc.)?
Does stagnation constitute as decline?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk