Author Topic: cover art, timings and brief samples of A. Fischer/Dusseldorf M6  (Read 2234 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Too much Mahler or not too much Mahler, I'm going to get myself a copy of this. And by the way, I really like his M9 a lot, regardless of what any other critics say.

https://www.challengerecords.com/products/16293804095622

Offline erikwilson7

Re: cover art, timings and brief samples of A. Fischer/Dusseldorf M6
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 03:45:00 PM »
This sounds even better than the German radio broadcast you find a while back. I'm going to wait for Fischer's Mahler box before buying any of his CDs. As far as complete Mahler cycles recorded in the 21st century so far, this might be the best one. It's mostly better than Stenz, Zinman, and Nott, and it's shaping up to be better than Vänskä's hit-or-miss set. And it's certainly better than Gergiev's... And if only Fischer's brother's cycle had an 8th I would mention that as its prime competition.

I'm on the fence with the M9 however, but I totally understand why you like it. His tempos are just right. The playing in the inner movements isn't that great, but he has one of the better first movements I've heard in a while. The thinner sounding string section shouldn't be the issue that people are making it. It's not lush like Berlin, but I'd say it's similarly "thin" to the Czech Phil, a great Mahler orchestra. Every orchestra just has a different sound, and I find Düsseldorf's to fit Mahler's music quite well. Particularly the woodsy winds (à la the BRSO) and the dark-hued brass sound.

Offline barryguerrero

Re: cover art, timings and brief samples of A. Fischer/Dusseldorf M6
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 05:43:00 PM »
Sure. That's all fair enough. I also really like the fourth movement on A. Fischer's M9. I don't care that the two inner movements are a tad rustic and funky.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk