Author Topic: OT: Brahms SACD recommendations?  (Read 11706 times)

Offline Amphissa

Re: OT: Brahms SACD recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 01:56:35 AM »
I like the Mackerras Brahms quite a lot as well. To me, Mackerras is a seriously underrated conductor. He has made a lot of really fine recordings. And the Telarc audio on the Mackerras set is very good. Much better than the Abbado set. The Abbado set sounds congested, thick, lacking in transparency. The inner voices are not revealed very well. Of course, it is DG. They liked that "wall of sound" effect back then. I'm not always a fan of HIP, but Makerras makes a good case for Brahms played that way.

On the other hand, I do love Brahms played bigger than life. I don't really care how the orchestras back then sounded. If composers back then had at hand the instruments and musicians around now, they'd have not hesitated to use them. So, as far as I'm concerned, the opening and finale of Brahms 1st - the bigger the better. Blow my hair back and glue me to my chair with audio G-force. Make pretty in between, but make monster music at the edges.

I have an old video of Ozawa and BSO playing Brahms 1 in Japan. It may not be the most elegant Brahms ever performed, but the electricity in that hall is just magical, and the BSO play their collective butts off. By the time they are done, fingers and lips are bloody. Probably sounds like crap on CD, but watching that video is so much fun, who cares.

"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 05:29:12 AM »
Great post there Amphissa....totally agree!!!!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 05:32:16 AM »
Ozawa also made an outstanding set of Brahms symphonies with the Saito Kinen Orchestra for Philips. You can't find them now, but they're really very good.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 11:16:02 PM »
Anyone like the Harnoncourt Cycle with the BPO? 

--Leo

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2007, 05:09:12 AM »
You know, I like most everything that Harnoncourt has done in the last 15 years or so. But his Brahms just isn't one of those things. To me, his Brahms just came off as really mannered.

Barry

Offline Damfino

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2007, 04:48:39 PM »
You know, I like most everything that Harnoncourt has done in the last 15 years or so.

I did not care for Harnoncourt's Beethoven cycle at all, and sold it on ebay.  I'm not sure I trust him in music after Mozart.  I will never seek out Harnoncourt again for 19th century Romantic music, so I am not surprised his Brahms did not work for you.  Maybe I just cannot get over my disdain for H.I.P. conductors.

I mainly listen to the Eschenbach set.  I bought it here in Houston when Eschenbach was doing an autograph session at the now defunct Sound Warehouse store.  :(    There was a dearth of Brahms recordings at that time, so I thought it would be worth a shot.  To my surprise, it is actually quite a good set.  Aside from a few single recordings of some of the symphonies by other conductors, the Eschenbach set fills the bill for me.

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2007, 07:06:46 PM »
I mainly listen to the Eschenbach set.  I bought it here in Houston when Eschenbach was doing an autograph session at the now defunct Sound Warehouse store.  :(    There was a dearth of Brahms recordings at that time, so I thought it would be worth a shot.  To my surprise, it is actually quite a good set.  Aside from a few single recordings of some of the symphonies by other conductors, the Eschenbach set fills the bill for me.

Another Houstonian on the board!!! Woo Hoo!!!
Scott

Offline Damfino

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2007, 07:29:47 PM »
Yes, and praying for the end of the Monsoons...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk