Author Topic: full Jurowski/L.P.O. M8 now on Spotify too.  (Read 2501 times)

Offline barryguerrero

full Jurowski/L.P.O. M8 now on Spotify too.
« on: September 03, 2021, 04:27:54 PM »
https://open.spotify.com/album/4J5XAhBQiaxYl7BEJyFkaz

The sound is better here than on E-Classical. It's strange that they left the spontaneous applause on at the end of Part 1. Perhaps people jumped in too soon, or they didn't anticipate that happening. Who knows.

Offline erikwilson7

Re: full Jurowski/L.P.O. M8 now on Spotify too.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 04:36:17 PM »
I’m planning on doing a brief write-up on this one once I ‘digest’ it a bit more. What are your initial thoughts on it so far?

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 09:03:00 PM »
Mostly good. I wish it didn't have applause after Part I, but that's no big deal. Offstage and onstage brass (trombones) could be stronger near the end of Part II, but I think Jurowski held them back deliberately in order make the crescendo at the very end appear stronger. Nice sounding strokes on the Paiste tam-tam. I certainly like it better than the 1991 Tennstedt.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 02:49:09 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 06:30:38 PM »
I was somewhat letdown and underwhelmed by this M8th. Jurowski uses a small choir for the sake of clarity. But what he gains in the clarity he loses in the spectacle.

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 07:16:36 PM »
For me, the proportion of children to adults is an overriding factor. It stands to reason that if you have two very large adult choirs, you need a larger number of children. Mahler had roughly 350 children for the world premiere - a number that I believe has not since been duplicated.

Regardless, I'm withholding judgement until the CD actually arrives. So far, the cast of soloists is a bit of a mixed bag (as it nearly always is). I find Barry Banks (tenor) tolerable, but not outstanding either. I do like the way they made the crappy Paiste tam-tams audible and 'ring on', without them also sounding like someone bashed in an over-sized cymbal.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 07:26:30 PM »
The beginning of Part 2 is disappointing too. It has to be mysterious, sweeping, and passionate. I hardly felt it that way in Jurowski. But then, I too want to wait until my CD arrives.

John

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2021, 07:43:21 PM »
I’ll write more about this recording at some point in the future, but the first few syllables of “Alles Vergängliche” are messy.

There’s a lot to commend in this recording though.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 04:15:19 AM »
I think so too. I think it might 'gel' better when hearing it in its totality on CD. The applause at the end of Part I is distracting - I think it kills the continuity a bit. The bass-baritone (second solo in Part II) isn't so great, but that's OK. On the plus side, there are places where the childrens chorus is strong and clear. I like some of Jurowski's small 'interpretative' touches.  I do like having a very short pause before the third tam-tam stroke (the first one that's doubled by the crash cymbals). I also think some of the women soloists are pretty good.

Let's put it this way, I can already tell that I like it better than the over-hyped and overwrought 1991 live Tennstedt recording. I don't like it better than the Rattle/B.P.O. one (better singers), or the sadly maligned Nezet-Seguin/Philly one. It's Dudamel's L.A. Phil. remake of M8 from Disney Hall that I'm disappointed with. At this point I'm not sure how I feel about Reference Recording's M8 with Thierry Fischer/Utah Symphony from the Mormon Tabernacle. Much of it is very good, but the end to Part II is awfully swift. Also, the sound is rather 'bright' inside the Tabernacle.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 04:24:30 AM by barryguerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk