Author Topic: Seiji Ozawa conducts BPO in Mahler 7th (1989)  (Read 2573 times)

Offline John Kim

Offline barryguerrero

Re: Seiji Ozawa conducts BPO in Mahler 7th (1989)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 07:48:35 AM »
Thanks John. I jumped around a bit and what I heard sounded pretty good. I listen to it in full later this week

If somebody took Ozawa's name off of there and claimed that this was conducted by Rosbaud or Scherchen, people would jump up and down, and say it's absolutely incredible.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 07:51:20 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline John Kim

Re: Seiji Ozawa conducts BPO in Mahler 7th (1989)
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 11:28:29 PM »
This is an excellent Mahler Seventh in decent stereo sound. Ozawa's overall concept is similar to his Boston Symphony recording. The first movement proceeds at a steady, measured tempo, and Ozawa evokes a wonderful sense of discovery, mystery, and Nocturnal yearnings in the central development section just as he did in Boston. The rest of the performance goes pretty well too especially in the two Nachtmusik movements (II. & IV.). The Rondo Finale (V.) is aptly boisterous and high spirited throughout.
Being executed by BPO it is perhaps a touch less richer and atmospheric than the BSO version (which is among my all time favorite Mahler 7ths), but  it is a performance not to be missed especially considering how rare Ozawa's live Mahler archives are.

I really like it!

John
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 12:36:35 AM by John Kim »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk