Author Topic: OT: excerpts of new Thielemann/V.P.O. Bruckner 2 (Carragan)  (Read 2101 times)

Offline barryguerrero

OT: excerpts of new Thielemann/V.P.O. Bruckner 2 (Carragan)
« on: January 28, 2022, 05:53:39 PM »
This is off topic. I checked out the brief excerpts of Thielemann's new recording of Bruckner 2 on Sony (Vienna Phil.). FINALLY, this may be a B2 that makes some sense to me. I normally loath B2, and think it's worst second symphony that any of the 'big boys' composed. I don't know if it's just the Vienna Phil. factor, or Thielemann's usage of the Carragan edition - or both (?). It just sounds much better than usual to me. Tell me what you think.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9303495--bruckner-symphony-no-2

I'm very much looking forward to an eventual B5 release with Thielemann/V.P.O. I did own their Bruckner 8, but traded it in. While the first two movements were rather 'ordinary', the last two movements were terrific. It's just that I already have five other accounts of B8 with the Vienna Phil.alone!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 06:29:23 PM by barryguerrero »

Online erikwilson7

Re: OT: excerpts of new Thielemann/V.P.O. Bruckner 2 (Carragan)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 06:44:51 PM »
When I was traversing the Bruckner symphonies for the first time, I really had to force myself to like B2. It was maybe the hardest to 'like,' but now I enjoy it. I really like the slow movement and the finale. The ending is exciting as hell (depending on the version), but it does sort of come out of nowhere.

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 01:33:13 AM »
I listened to the Presto samples, and I liked what I heard. I had no previous antipathy for the Second but no great affinity for it. Perhaps the treatment here eschews the Bruckner of the latter symphonies, appropriate for a composer still developing his own distinct style.
Russ Smiley

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 06:13:05 AM »
Good point.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 07:44:55 PM »
I quite like Thielemann/VPO/Sony B4th. Richard Osborne of Gramophone Magazine gave it a rave review too.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk