Author Topic: Bychkov/Czech Phil. M4 (Pentatone) is now on Spotify!  (Read 2908 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Bychkov/Czech Phil. M4 (Pentatone) is now on Spotify!
« on: April 08, 2022, 08:33:54 AM »
I'm listening to it now. I'm liking it just fine.

Offline erikwilson7

Re: Bychkov/Czech Phil. M4 (Pentatone) is now on Spotify!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 01:19:51 PM »
It's really a fantastic recording. One of the best sounding ever, in my opinion. To be honest, I didn't need or want another Mahler 4 (and who really does?), but this makes for an excellent start to the cycle and gives me hope for future releases.

To clarify, I think Mahler 4 has been the luckiest of his symphonies on record. It's the only symphony that I feel completely satisfied by with a number of recordings. I don't think any other Mahler symphony has recordings that I am absolutely 100% satisfied by, and that hit every single mark for me.

This Bychkov M4 is one of those that satisfies me completely, as do probably 7 more recordings of this work.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2022, 05:50:00 PM »

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 06:50:56 AM »
Perhaps it might be the Mahler symphony suited to him - I don't know - but I'm tellin' ya'll, the M6 I saw him do with the V.P.O. in Berkeley was faaaantastic. I liked it even more than seeing Bernstein/V.P.O. do it in Carnegie Hall. I also appreciated he had the guts to switch back to scherzo/andante - after rehearsing it in the p.c. order of andante/scherzo - because his musical convictions told him that that was the right thing to do.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 06:23:43 PM »
Barry,

His recording of M6th with NYPO is nothing short of superlative. It's on Spotify.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk