Author Topic: Wrote an e-mail to the Concertgebouw  (Read 3213 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Wrote an e-mail to the Concertgebouw
« on: April 18, 2022, 09:44:12 PM »
I'm doubtful that this will do much 'good' in our current economic and political climate, but I wrote an e-mail to the Concertgebouw Orkest, asking them to 'bury the hatchet' and consider releasing Danielle Gatti's remaining Mahler recordings that they have in their vaults to the public, in whatever format they care to use (downloads?). I think at least his Mahler 3 and Mahler 7 should be made available, if nothing further. There must be other items outside of Mahler that must be quite good as well. I think they need to get over themselves. Anyway, let's hope.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 09:24:11 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline shawn

Re: Wrote an e-mail to the Concertgebouw
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 01:38:35 AM »
They've released some SACDs of Gatti's RCO performances after the MeToo-fracas. I don't think MeToo is the reason why RCO isn't putting more of Gatti's performances on the market. But I wholeheartedly agree, his musical legacy with the Concertgebouw is well worth hearing. I'm not sure he recorded the M7, I think that performance was conducted by Van Zweden.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 03:10:19 AM »
I agree that Gatti did some pretty good conducting in Amsterdam. I've heard his M1, M2, M3 (archive), M4, M6 (archive), and M9 (archive), and they were all excellent, particularly the 3rd and the 6th. I don't know if he did the 7th with RCO.

John

Offline lschmitz

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 04:50:43 PM »
I also am quite happy with the Mahler Gatti did in Amsterdam. The previous poster is correct in saying that Gatti did M1, M2, M3, M4, M6, and M9. You can actually see an overview here: https://archief.concertgebouworkest.nl/en/archive/search/. He also did the 5th which is available in the 2010 blu-ray cycle. He would have conducted the 7th less than a month after he was dismissed.

That leaves the 3rd, 6th, and 9th as possible releases, all of which were excellent in my view. Let's see if they will bury their hatchet indeed.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2022, 10:06:12 PM »
Given what I received back from a Cocnertgebouw representative, none of us should hold our breaths. They also said that they weren't at liberty to discuss their relationship with D. Gatti at this time, as though I gave a damn about that aspect of it. I give up! As far as I'm concerned, I'll never buy another Concertgebouw recording, or attend any of their concerts in the future. Since when are Dutch women so squeamish about unwanted advances? - not that that is in any way an excuse for any conductor's behavior. I don't care who they hire at this point.

It'll probably be Ivan Fischer, who'll just give them more straight-ahead, totally uninteresting Mahler that's devoid of any real insights or intensity. They seem to like blandness. I think there's a reason Mahler eventually decided he didn't want to return to Holland.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 10:24:05 PM by barryguerrero »

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 01:31:03 PM »
I don't want to get political on here but I want to say one thing: if the Concertgebouw is releasing/selling music and making money off Gatti's [currently tainted] legacy there, some people are going to surely be upset about it. Honestly––and just thinking close to home here––if Muti did something related to sexual harassment and the CSO continued selling his music I'd probably be pretty pissed about it (and I'm sure Chicago would too). It really wouldn't look good for Chicago's orchestra.

I want to hear Gatti's Mahler too, but timing is everything. Maybe someday when the dust has settled.

For now let's be grateful we have enough Concertgebouworkest in Mahler, and a new cycle coming out from the CPO.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 04:34:33 PM by erikwilson7 »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 06:27:27 PM »
See what RCO can do when they team up with the right conductor:

Myung Whun Chung conducts RCO in a live M9th concert.

https://youtu.be/7NKvBNliyN8

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2022, 09:50:02 PM »
I see your point, Eric. I just think the dust should begin settling now. And John, I think I would take Chung over I. Fischer on most days.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk