Author Topic: So, Exton still exists! . . . who knew!  (Read 2929 times)

Offline barryguerrero

So, Exton still exists! . . . who knew!
« on: April 29, 2022, 08:15:44 AM »
Exton is issuing a new Mahler 1 with Jonathan Nott and the Tokyo Symphony Orchestra. I have no idea how this orchestra stacks up in comparison to Tokyo's other top orchestras (?). Neither do I know if this is a start to a new cycle. It's next to impossible to try to get information from the Exton people. I inquired (enquired?) several times regarding the Honeck/Pittsburgh [once upon a time] Mahler cycle. Of course, I never received any reply.

Also, they're reissuing M. Inoue's Royal Philharmonic Mahler recordings into a three disc set (symphonies 4, 5 and 6). I've never thought Inoue's Mahler was as great as some claimed it to be. Also, the Royal Phil. - an orchestra I often times do like - would not be my first pick for Mahler.

https://www.hmv.co.jp/en/search/advanced_1/category_1%2C106/formattype_1/genre_VARIOUS_700/keyword_Mahler/sort_datedesc/target_CLASSIC/

Offline erikwilson7

Re: So, Exton still exists! . . . who knew!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 02:41:33 PM »
Very interesting stuff. I would like to hear more from Nott. I like his cycle a lot, but it has its flaws and I'd like to hear his interpretations mature.

Speaking of reissues, I'm seeing Telarc currently re-issuing their catalogue and being put on Spotify and digital download (incl. Presto) for the first time ever. This includes Levi's, Lopez-Cobos', and Slatkin's Mahler recordings.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 04:38:54 PM »
These are SACD reissues of the original 80s recordings. I used to own Inoue's M6th: grim, inexorable, and very powerful.

Inoue also recorded M1, M6, M9 with New Japan Philharmonic Orchestra. I have the 6th and 9th and quite them both.

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 10:01:17 PM »
I wish Exton hadn't given up on Honeck/Pittsburgh. At least the M6 would have been great.

Offline Roland Flessner

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2022, 12:59:26 AM »
I like the Inoue/RPO recordings rather a lot.

Presto Music used to show an extensive catalog of Exton releases including downloads, but at the moment, they list only two Honeck/Pittsburgh recordings, Ein Heldenleben and Tchaikovsky 5, CDs only.

I've been waiting decades for a good modern recording of "Seven, They Are Seven," the cantata by Prokofiev that some have described as "apocalyptic noise." Exton had an Ashkenazy recording with the St. Petersburg Phil. I have that one, but it has some odd distortion, both in physical and download versions.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2022, 06:51:05 AM »
Exton appears to be the most enigmatic classical label imaginable. They came out with a ton of stuff with Ashkenazy conducting - most of it from Australia (including his Mahler) - yet they never did anything to promote any of it. Why even bother!

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2022, 05:29:12 PM »
I think both Honeck/PSO M6th and M9th were recorded but never released. Too bad because they were great performances, as good  as the M1, M3, M4, M5 that they recorded for Exton.

John

Offline akiralx

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2022, 06:37:00 AM »
Exton is issuing a new Mahler 1 with Jonathan Nott and the Tokyo Symphony Orchestra. I have no idea how this orchestra stacks up in comparison to Tokyo's other top orchestras (?)

I assume this is a different band to the Tokyo Metropolitan SO, with whom I have Bernini conducting M9, on this label.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk