Author Topic: KDFC 'stream on demand' of Dudamel/S.F. Symphony M5  (Read 2328 times)

Offline barryguerrero

KDFC 'stream on demand' of Dudamel/S.F. Symphony M5
« on: May 15, 2022, 07:15:51 PM »
Hi folks. I think this Mahler 5 from Davies Hall with G. Dudamel conducting is really terrific. Just scroll down to May 3 and click on "listen to Part 2" to hear M5. I'm quite certain that this was THE FIRST TIME a conductor other than MTT has conducted a Mahler symphony with the S.F. Symphony since Tilson-Thomas took over in the early 1990's. No one conductor should be permitted to have a vise grip on Mahler in any town - there's simply too music in each of those works to be forced to hear only person's view of them.

https://www.kdfc.com/radio/on-demand/san-francisco-symphony-on-demand/

Offline John Kim

Re: KDFC 'stream on demand' of Dudamel/S.F. Symphony M5
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 09:22:01 PM »
Barry,

Thanks for the posting. Yes, indeed this is a GREAT M5th, the finest I've heard in recent years. Structurally, I have never heard a better II.

John

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 09:23:32 PM »
How does this performance compare with Dudamel/BPO M5th? Strangely, BPO has not yet released it separately (neither Nelsons/BPO M2nd).

John

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 10:16:01 PM »
I believe that BPO digital release is coming this Friday. The Adagietto (preview track) went up on Spotify last week.

This also gives me hope for a future release of the Nelsons M2.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 10:54:37 PM »
Frankly, I haven't listened to the Dudamel M5 in the Berlin Phil. Mahler box. I haven't bothered because I've always liked the old Karajan M5 so much. I'm sure I would like it better than the Abbado (which I think is greatly overrated). The Rattle/BPO M5 is a good performance, but EMI's sound quality leaves something to be desired in my book.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk