Author Topic: Dudamel/BPO M5th is out on streaming.  (Read 2669 times)

Offline John Kim

Dudamel/BPO M5th is out on streaming.
« on: May 23, 2022, 06:04:07 PM »
I like it very much. I think this M5th is all up to my expectation.

John

Offline erikwilson7

Re: Dudamel/BPO M5th is out on streaming.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 06:47:21 PM »
I liked the whole thing until the ending. The impact of the last brass chorale is dampened by the lack of crash cymbal presence, and his tempo through the end is deliberate and could be much more exciting if he kicked it up a notch like Mahler intends (to accelerate through the end).

The second movement blew me away, and Dudamel's pacing feels perfect throughout.

Offline akiralx

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 11:49:26 PM »
24 bit FLAC download discounted here:

https://www.eclassical.com/mahler-symphony-no-5-4.html

Offline sbugala

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 03:18:45 PM »
I enjoyed this. I don't think the sound was gimmicky, but Dudamel and/or the engineers seem to delight in the shocking contrasts in the score. There's certain emphatic whacks of the bass drum or timpani, etc. that come off really well. I'll return to this performance. It was good, thrilling stuff.

Going by the blurb on the eclassical link, they made it sound like this was the last release...but I hope that's wrong since the M2 hasn't been released digitially, AFAIK; right?

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 03:29:41 PM »
It could be a while but I sure hope they eventually release the Nelsons M2. They would be foolish not to; imagine the individual sales that a Nelsons + BPO record would garner.

They are now halfway through releasing the BPO Bruckner cycle too, with No. 5 coming out today.

And Telarc continues to digitally release their long-awaited catalogue. Today the Shaw / Atlanta Mahler 8 was released digitally. I believe the only Telarc Mahler recording not available digitally yet is the Lopez-Cobos M9. I'm estimating that will appear in the coming weeks.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 03:37:18 PM by erikwilson7 »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 02:24:48 AM »
Even better will be for them to reissue the set on hybrid SACDs like they did for their Bruckner set.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk