Author Topic: Sound System for your Mahler listening experience  (Read 10614 times)

Offline mahlerbone

Sound System for your Mahler listening experience
« on: July 09, 2007, 02:44:40 AM »
I'm just wondering what you guys use to listen to your Mahler recordings on.  I've noticed that what sounds terrible on an inferior system can sound fantastic on a good sound system.  As an example, I've never really liked the MTT/SFSO M6 all that much.  But about a month ago I was able to hear it on an SACD player for the first time, and I liked it a lot better.  More of the little nuances came out, there was more depth in sound, and more punch from the lower brass.  Even recordings that don't have an SACD layer sound much better on higher end equipment.  If I used my little Sony boombox to play everything, I probably wouldn't like any recording all that much.

I use Acoustic Energy speakers, an Integra receiver, and an Onkyo CD player.  I'm upgrading to an Integra SACD/DVD player very soon.

It would be very interesting to know what kind of equipment David Hurwitz uses to review new recordings.

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Sound System for your Mahler listening experience
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 05:52:29 AM »
I can tell you that D.H. uses speakers that were made for him by somebody on the east coast - I don't remember who. They're not huge by any means, as I remember. I've heard them, and they sound very good to me.

I have a boom box in the kitchen, and use it far more frequently than the stereo in the living room. However, I have that boom box hooked up to a small Cambridge Sound Works self-powered subwoofer that runs out of the headphone jack. From the subwoofer, wires run to two small cube speakers that sit on top of the kitchen cabinets. I find this setup nearly as enjoyable as the bigger stereo in the living room. In fact, I really like it better because it's just so much easier to use. You might want to look into doing something like this, as it'll transform your boom box into something much fuller sounding.

It makes sense that the SFSO series would sound better when played back on SACD players. However, I still don't like his conducting of the piece; nor the huge misreading of on the part of the percussion section towards the end of the finale: there's a snare drum roll - right after the spot where the third hammer stroke is sometimes reinstated - that's marked gedampft (muted) and forte only. On the MTT/SFSO M6, it's played fortissimo with the snares left on. To me, it sounds both obviously wrong and stupid.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 04:34:26 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Phaedrus

• non multa scire scio
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 05:01:59 PM »
Hi,

I myself am very content with mostly older stuff:
KEF 104/2 speakers
Linn Intek and Powertek amps
Audioanalogue Maestro 192/24 CD player
Audioquest cabling

I turned my attic into a music room where I rehearse and play my music.
This in combination with very tolerant and understanding neighbours is sheer bliss.

By the way: Last Saturday in Paris I picked up a Japanese 24bit version of the Barbirolli M5 with New Philharmonia at the Virgin Megastore on the Champs Elysees. I already have the EMI ART recording but the 24bit version sounds even clearer to my ears. Only gave it a spin once though.

LOL

Phaedrus
non multa scire scio

Offline wagnerlover

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 08:30:15 PM »
I live on Second Avenue in the 90s in Manhattan.  EVERY truck coming in to the city passes by my windows, and as often as not, drives over a huge metal plate in the street that covers over construction digging, making a near-sonic-boom. 

I use headphones (the standard $50 over-the-ear Sonys), and while the sound doesn't make for a  true stereophile experience, it's good enough. 

Wish it could be otherwise. 

Offline mahlerbone

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 08:41:17 PM »
My secondary listening setup is actually my iPod with Sennheiser PX100 over-the-ear headphones.  Surprisingly, the sound is very open and natural, and you can even hear the pianissimo stuff without turning up the volume too much.  I love it, because I can listen to Mahler (among other things) while going for long walks.

Offline chris

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 08:44:05 PM »
Right now I do most of my symphonic listening on my iPod as my last sound system died on me, I rip at 256 VBR and have a decent set of headphones and for the time being it works nicely.

I'm in the market for a new system and have been contemplating this one, but it's a bit more than I'd like to spend: 

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=11039602

Offline Amphissa

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 10:38:07 PM »

I have Monsoon surround sound speakers hooked up to my computer (which has a Turtle Beach surround sound card in it). I use that or headphones to preview music. But I'm one of those people who cannot listen and work, because I get distracted by the music and don't get any work done.  :(

I have an SACD player as part of my home theater rig, which has an array of full size Polk Audio speakers driven by a Yamaha receiver. It's good mid-fi, and terrific for concerts on DVD or VHS. When I want to listen to SACD or DVD-A in 5.1 multichannel, that's where I do it.

However, I prefer to listen to music on my higher-end stereo system. I listen to music 1-2 hours every evening after arriving home from work, before dinner. I usually have a stack of CDs that I've set out for the week -- sometimes different recordings of a piece I'm particularly interested in, other times just an assortment of CDs that I've recently received. The weak link in this system is the CD player. It was fine when I bought it a decade ago, but I'm looking at decent quality two-channel SACD players with the idea that I'll upgrade this fall.
"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 11:47:25 PM »
On the shelf above my desk (the command center ;D) I  have a JVC F3000 setup connected to Bose 301 Series V Direct/Reflecting speakers--about 5 feet apart. Sometimes I use Sennheiser HD580 headphones as I sit in an easy chair that faces away from the speakers.

In the living room, which is acoustically lively--9-foot ceiling, ceramic-tiled floor, about 18'x26'--I have Yamaha components (old style) connected to JBL Studio Monitors which are mounted at about table height. If there is reason not to fill the house with sound, I use  Sennheiser HD595 headphones there.

In the basement, where the treadmill is, I have a large JVC boombox nearby, connected to Grado SR80 headphones;  fortunately, the treadmill is quiet. (If I didn't have Mahler to listen to, I doubt I would spend much time on it.)

Of the three sets of headphones, I like the HD595 best, both for comfort and sound. But of course, the Yamaha equipment might give them an advantage. In the kitchen there is the ubiquitous Bose radio/CD player; it's okay but, I think, highly overrated and hyped by Bose. The 301 shelf speakers, on the other hand, are quite responsive.

If you are wondering how I could accumulate this audio stuff, the answer is one word: debt. :-[

. & '

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 11:14:20 PM »
I have several different systems on which I listen to music.  Without embarrassing myself by completely exposing my audiophillia, I’ll just list the following:

My main home system is a home theater system, with a Denon 2803 receiver, Sony SACD player, and a new Oppo 970 universal disc player.  I have 5 NHT bookshelf speakers mounted high on the walls (3 newly purchased NHT Classic 3’s as L-C-R across the front, 2 SuperOne XU’s for surrounds) and an SVS 25-30 subwoofer. 

I have a nice set up in my car with some Polk Momo speakers in the front and the rear, a Polk Momo sub, all driven by two Phoenix Gold amps with a Sony changer/head-unit. 

Finally, I have a few portable choices.  I have two Creative MP3 players: 60GB Nomad Zen (hard drive) and a Creative 4GB Zen V (flash drive).  I own Sennheiser 595 headphones and Sensaphonic 2X-S in-ear monitors.  I love the 595’s when I need to listen at home.  The 2X-S’s also have phenomenal sound, but I mainly use them on the treadmill or at the health club, and occasionally when I travel.   
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 11:15:56 PM by sperlsco »
Scott

Offline mahlerbone

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 07:36:47 PM »
I have the Sennheiser HD 570 headphones.  But I've heard good reviews about the HD 580 and 595.  I'll have to look into those.  But I recently spent a lot of money upgrading my golf clubs and stereo system, so that will have to wait a little.

Offline akiralx

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 12:47:55 PM »

I listen to most music via headphones - either a Sony SACD player with a Stax earspeaker system (I recommend), or a Creative Vision mp3 player (at 256kbps) with Etymotic phones.

Offline nikolaus

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 03:38:33 PM »
hi akiralx,
i'm planning to buy stax earspeakers in the near future. I was thinking about the SR-40 + SRD-4, which shows up on ebay from time to time and is usually sold for appr. 100€. Also quite popular for about the same price are SR-30 and SR-60. You know any of these? Which Stax do you use?

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 04:15:13 PM »
i'm planning to buy stax earspeakers in the near future. I was thinking about the SR-40 + SRD-4, which shows up on ebay from time to time and is usually sold for appr. 100€. Also quite popular for about the same price are SR-30 and SR-60. 

You might go to <http://www.goodcans.com/HeadphoneReviews/stax2020.htm> to see a review of Stax earspeakers--not the exact models you mention, but good information.

. & '

Offline akiralx

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 08:46:43 AM »
hi akiralx,
i'm planning to buy stax earspeakers in the near future. I was thinking about the SR-40 + SRD-4, which shows up on ebay from time to time and is usually sold for appr. 100€. Also quite popular for about the same price are SR-30 and SR-60. You know any of these? Which Stax do you use?

Can't go wrong with any of them - I've got the Classic 3030 setup (or is it 3010?).  Not available any more though I think.

Offline nikolaus

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 08:33:51 PM »
jot, akiralx thanks for the information.
"When my used Stax SR40s were made, (I am guessing mid 80’s?), you had to connect a black box to the speaker outputs of an amplifier in order to power them. Let’s just say, while the used earspeakers seemed to work just fine, sound quality wise, they didn’t even compare to a Grado SR60 which can be had for $69."
After reading this I will probably save for a better model.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk