Author Topic: Thomas Søndergård hired to lead the Minnesota Orchestra  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Roland Flessner

Re: Thomas Søndergård hired to lead the Minnesota Orchestra
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 08:45:07 PM »
At the intro event, which I watched online, the maestro was asked about the correct pronunciation of his last name. He said that it is something like zone-NAIR-gore but suggested that Americans just pronounce it the way it looks. I'll take him up on that.

I listened to his Prokofiev 5 with the RSNO and found it excellent, even with the British tamtam.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 03:38:47 AM »
What little I've heard of his work on CD sounds fine to me. It seems like they made a logical pick.

Offline Roland Flessner

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 04:53:54 AM »
This is also the final season of Muti's tenure with the CSO. It was originally planned to be the previous season, but his contract was extended because of COVID.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 04:50:32 AM by Roland Flessner »

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 08:03:16 AM »
Now that Jaap van Zweden is weaseling out of N.Y. (can you blame him?), Chicago should grab him. However, his detractors claim he has no personality. All I know is that he's among the few who are equally good at both Bruckner and Mahler. Simone Young would be good as well, but I doubt she wants to travel all that much these days.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk