Author Topic: New version of Horenstein’s M3 coming soon  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Russell

New version of Horenstein’s M3 coming soon
« on: September 26, 2022, 05:20:58 PM »
For some reason, I’ve never been able to see the light on the highly regarded and oft-recommended M3 with Horenstein. Well, this new version (coming soon) of that famous recording might change my mind. Very interesting reading!

https://www.highdeftapetransfers.ca/blogs/news/horenstein-and-mahler-s-third-symphony-revisited

Offline barryguerrero

Re: New version of Horenstein’s M3 coming soon
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2022, 08:15:18 PM »
I've pointed out for decades that the Nonesuch LP pressing sounded completely different from the pale sounding Unicorn issues of Horenstein's M3. That self-appointed Mahler expert from England who typed the extremely long-winded reviews and summaries of Mahler recordings - that guy! - he finally admitted as much, and told me that the Nonesuch release was from that 'other' set of mics. Presumably that means this Jerry Bruck recording. I'm sure this will be about as good as the Horenstein M3 will ever get. However, I'm sure there'll be no real way to sample it first.

Barry
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 10:43:44 PM by barryguerrero »

Offline Russell

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 02:38:38 AM »
In that article, there’s a link to a sample (half of the first movement!) of the new version. Haven’t checked it out for myself yet, though.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 08:16:27 AM »
Oh, thanks Russell. I didn't see that. I'll have a listen now.

Later on: Yes, this sounds much, MUCH more like what I remember the Nonesuch LP's of it to sound like . I enjoy Dennis Wick's 'in your face' trombone solo, and I like Horenstein's slightly slower tempo - with lots of percussion - for the faster, 'happy' march in major. I may very well buy this.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 08:37:42 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 09:36:21 PM »
Russell,

1.1gb 24bit/192khz

I can't find the Mahler 3.

Where is it?

John

Offline Russell

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 03:40:16 PM »
John, you have to click on the “download the sample” part of the sentence at the end of the article. Strangely, the entire sentence is not hyperlinked.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2022, 08:21:01 PM »
The sample does sound like my Nonesuch LP - I hope Amazon sells this as a digital download at some point.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2022, 09:15:16 PM »
Thank you. I've been saying for years that there's a big difference in sound between Nonesuch, and the pale sounding 'whatever' that Unicorn put out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk