Author Topic: Jansons/BRSO/BR Klassik Mahler cycle to be released.  (Read 1820 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Re: Jansons/BRSO/BR Klassik Mahler cycle to be released.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 09:31:59 PM »
Thanks. I don't like his Mahler enough to buy that box. But I also wouldn't mind it if I could hear his M6 and M8 at Spotify, eventually.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 09:50:50 PM »
Jansons may well be the most consistent (from the technical and artistic perspectives) Mahler cycle recorded in recent years. Stand outs are the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 8th with the rest right behind.

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 05:20:25 PM »
Fair enough, but I'll point out my objections. I already have the BR Klassik recordings of M1 w/ Nezet-Seguin, and M3 w/ Haitink. Both are excellent and have great sound. I just don't like the 'slow-down in tempo that Jansons does in the finale of M5, prior to the reprise of the brass chorale tune. To me, it just takes the wind out of the sails. I will listen to his M6 and M8 at Spotify. I've heard them both, and they are good. But at this point and time, this cycle would have to be extraordinary for me to justify such a relatively expensive purchase.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2022, 10:31:08 PM »
It’s a good cycle, but I care more about hearing the BRSO in Mahler than Jansons’ conducting.

I’m not a big Rattle guy either, though he has his moments. I’m looking forward to the M9 soon.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 01:02:04 AM »
Erik,

My take is similar but it is leaning slightly more towards to Jansons. His M1st is as good as any, especially his excellent RCO version and is fabulously played and recorded. The 3rd is one of great ones on par with Horenstein, Levine, to name just two.  As for the 5th I don't need to add anything other than all the critical acclaims given already. The 6th is a new entry and I beg you to give it a listen or two. It is fast, exciting, and extremely well played. I really like the 8th (which is also new) for its straightforwardness and musicality.

John
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 02:09:49 AM by John Kim »

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 09:57:40 PM »
There is something to be said for having a complete cycle with one conductor and one orchestra. This Jansons one is probably very consistent. I think I'm more inclined to recommend the 'maverick' Gabriel Feltz cycle, or the really well recorded Jonathan Nott one. I remember, John, that you were 'big' on the J. Nott M9. Frankly, I would take that one over Jansons M9 any day. If Oehms hadn't screwed up the sound on the box set issue of the Markus Stenz cycle, that one WOULD have been highly competitive. Oehms down-graded the sound quality, for some reason.

There's so much good Mahler these days. I think the Warner edition of the Tennstedt box is pretty competitive - the one where they included both the studio and 'live' recordings (not to be confused with the live recordings the London Phil. issued themselves). 

I'm also a fan of using one orchestra, but with a number of different conductors. I do like that Berlin Phil. box. I wish the Vienna Phil. would do the same thing, but they would probably screw up the curation of the thing.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 06:58:05 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 10:52:52 PM »
Barry, we agree spot on with regards to Stenz and Nott. The Nott is one of my favorites in my collection now, and it’s highly competitive.

As for Stenz, he may be among the best Mahler conductors in terms of structure, but that cycle indeed has many sound issues (the percussion is especially poorly captured throughout), and the orchestra doesn’t have a natural Mahlerian feel to it. I’d love to hear him conduct the RCO or BRSO.

The Bychkov / Czech series is looking very promising, and the samples for the M5 due out in a week or two sound excellent. I’m seriously rooting for this one to become my favorite once it’s done, but we’ll see how it pans out.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2022, 08:04:08 AM »
.    .     .   except that those tam-tam smashes at the end of M. Stenz's M8 are amazing! - just as good as they are on the Feltz recording. But in general, I do agree with you.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2022, 12:29:32 PM »
You’re right. Anything cymbal-related is captured super well by Oehms, but timpani, snare, etc. are poor (except cowbells and other bell things, interestingly enough).

My two big gripes are the col-legno moment near the climax of M2 I, and the one snare roll near the end of M9 III. Both are totally inaudible.

Offline akiralx

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2022, 05:58:56 AM »
The cycle can be bought here cheaply as a download, at 24/44.1:

https://www.hdtracks.com/#/album/634ded549ddea32e4b750aa0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk