General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

"Vision Mahler"

(1/2) > >>

chris:
Has anyone seen this DVD entitled "Vision Mahler"?

Music and computer technology find harmony in this multimedia performance of Gustav Mahler's Symphony no. 2 in C Minor ("The Resurrection Symphony"). Conceived by renowned Austrian media artist Johannes Deutsch and created by Ars Electronica Futurelab, 3D computer-generated imagery provides a visual interpretation of the symphony movements played by the WDR Cologne Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Semyon Bychkov.

There's a video clip here:   http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=101421#

Looks odd.

Jot N. Tittle:
I  almost saw it.

That is, it arrived from Amazon.com the other day (having been on order since March), and I eagerly loaded the DVD  only to be informed that it would not play in this region (US). So back to Amazon.com it went. I noticed that they now post a very visible warning that this DVD will not play in Region 1. That warning wasn't there in March. (On the package it says Region 0 --meaning it will play anywhere?)

Wie Schade!

. & '

chris:
That is odd.   I just burned some DVD+Rs and my DVD player is telling me they're the wrong region...but it's all Region 1.   

I just ordered it from Netflix, when I get it I'll let you know if they're disc works.

sperlsco:

--- Quote from: chris on July 11, 2007, 02:23:02 AM ---That is odd.   I just burned some DVD+Rs and my DVD player is telling me they're the wrong region...but it's all Region 1.   

I just ordered it from Netflix, when I get it I'll let you know if they're disc works.

--- End quote ---

If you rip a DVD with DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink (or many other ripper programs), you should be able to make your DVD+/- R's region-free by choosing that option from the settings.    Never let Big Brother tell you how you how you can personally use your own purchases!!

Damfino:

--- Quote ---If you rip a DVD with DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink (or many other ripper programs), you should be able to make your DVD+/- R's region-free by choosing that option from the settings.    Never let Big Brother tell you how you how you can personally use your own purchases!!
--- End quote ---

Yes, DVD Shrink will make a disc all-region, but it is not only the region thing.  If a disc is region 2, it is almost certainly in PAL format, and your player will have to be able to play PAL, and a region 1 player may not be able to do this.  All-Region players not only play all regions; they also convert the PAL video to NTSC.  All-Region players are fairly cheap these days.  The only draw-back is that there is a slight speed-up that occurs on conversion, as PAL consists of more frames per second than NTSC.  Usually it is barely perceptible.  I have one for those DVDs that are only available from another country.

Most computer DVD drives can play all regions and video standards, but some are "locked" and will not do this.  I have a program called All Region DVD that lets my computer play all regions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version