Author Topic: Zweden/HKPO M10th (Mengelberg & Dopper) + S10th on Naxos  (Read 1550 times)

Offline John Kim

Zweden/HKPO M10th (Mengelberg & Dopper) + S10th on Naxos
« on: November 19, 2022, 06:03:30 PM »
It is on streaming now.

https://app.idagio.com/albums/mahler-and-shostakovich-orchestral-works-live?utm_source=pcl

This edition of Mahler 10th (Adagio + Purgatorio) was prepared by Mengelberg and Dopper, Mahler's close associates.

The Purgatorio (III.) sounds fuller, bolder than any other version I know with added notes in strings, woodwinds, and percussion. Zweden applies rubato judiciously a la Mengelberg. Fascinating and thrilling!

The Adagio (I.) too sounds fuller and bigger in the hands of Mengelberg & Dopper. For instance, they added, doubled some baselines, e.g. low strings, brass, and percussion (particularly horns). At a slower than normal tempo (24'52"), it sounds closer to M9 Adagio than it ever did. This edition of M10th I.+III. contains a significant number of differences that will guarantee repeated hearings and close attention from Mahlerites and music scholars.

The Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra plays beautifully. So is the recorded sound.

John
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 06:07:24 PM by John Kim »

Offline barryguerrero

Re: Zweden/HKPO M10th (Mengelberg & Dopper) + S10th on Naxos
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 04:18:29 AM »
I think it's very interesting, John. We have no idea if Mahler would have taken the symphony in this direction or not. However, there's no denying Mahler would have revised bits of it, if not a whole bunch of it (first scherzo, for certain); fleshed out the orchestration, and perhaps even reworked the entire concluding section of the finale. Regardless, I think this Naxos release is a really beneficial addition to the Mahler 10 puzzle. I like van Zweden quite a bit. I think he's among the few who are equally at home in both Bruckner and Mahler.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 04:32:46 AM »
Barry,

Agreed. I think this is the most interesting and valuable recording of Mahler 10th that has come out in recent years.

For your information, Zweden will be the new music director of the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra beginning next year.

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 04:42:19 AM »
Very good. I hope Seoul works out for van Zweden. The musicians will certainly be very committed. Let's hope Covid takes a long hike.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 03:34:09 PM »
I streamed the Mahler the other day, and the first movement of the Shostakovich. I may buy this.

My issues with the M10 go back and forth. Do we try to flesh out the orchestration and go all out...or keep it simple? This seems to be a good approach. Use what Mahler wrote, but look at what an ardent advocate did.

I also found on Youtube a Piano transcription...and I have to say...it's beautiful and represents the other side: just give us the notes. So, the internal debate rages on; and I'm fine with that.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2022, 08:22:49 AM »
I just wish these guys wouldn't go nuts with the bass drum, and actually study how Mahler employed percussion in detail. It makes the music very immature sounding.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk