Author Topic: Haitink/Berlin Phil. M9/I, second climactic section - holy smokes!  (Read 1647 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Have any of you taken a listen to Haitink's Berlin Phil. M9 recording?     .    .   .     .  In the first movement, the second climactic 'run up the hill' - (only to fall back down the hill again) - is just unbelievable! In fact, that second climactic passage is executed with more sheer terror and visceral impact that the third (and arguably most important) climactic section is. Yet, I like how Haitink is not tempted to speed up for most of the music that comes AFTER the main climactic section. In short, he out Giulinis Giulini (Karlo Maria von Giulini). I get the feeling that this was the Mahler 9 Haitink always wanted to make, and that he's not just experimenting here. Others may have a different take on that.

No matter what your take on that thought might be, it just seems the Berlin Phil. was born to play Mahler 9. If you want to look at it the other way around, it seems as though Mahler tailor made his 9th for the strengths of the Berlin Phil. of today. I love Haitink's second movement too. Again, shades of Giulini (only better, in my book).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 09:09:18 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline sbugala

Re: Haitink/Berlin Phil. M9/I, second climactic section - holy smokes!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 07:17:28 PM »
I think it's excellent, especially for the reasons you've described.

I hope they resume putting the rest of that cycle out digitally. I was getting them, one track at a time...from Amazon.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 07:59:29 PM »
Thank you good sir. I've been going back to th Berlin Phil./Mahler set recently. I still love the Dudamel/B.P.O. M3. I think if the name "Dudamel" weren't on there, more people would pay attention to it. I think Christiane Karg sounds really good on Y. Nezet-Seguin's perfectly acceptable M4 as well. For me, the only slight 'dud' is A. Nelsons M2, but I'm going to give that another shot. I've even warmed up to Petrenko's M6. Even though the sound quality is better, I just don't see the need for for me to get the Jansons/BRSO Mahler box (which also only has symphonies 1-9 as well [plus a pair useless rehearsal and jibber-jabber discs]). I find these Berlin ones musically more engaging.

If you look on E-bay, you can now get a box-set of Haitink's Mahler with the Berlin Phil. (Philips). As you know, he only recorded symphonies 1-7, two song cycles, and the 10th symphony Adagio. I wish somebody would issue his 1988 Mahler 8 from the Concertgebouw. That one can be viewed on Youtube (great sound, but darkly filmed). It wasn't part of the Kerstmatinee business, so it's never been offered with those.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 05:30:03 PM »
Wow Barry comparing this M9 with Guilini is spot on. I’ve had my first run through and found it a little slow then I like nowadays — still I appreciate its power and I love the Berlin Philharmonic playing the M9. I will need more listens on this one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk