General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Where is...?

(1/3) > >>

Jot N. Tittle:
Where is everybody? On vacation? Nothing posted for three days?

. & '

John Kim:

--- Quote from: Jot N. Tittle on July 16, 2007, 10:13:55 PM ---Where is everybody? On vacation? Nothing posted for three days?

. & '

--- End quote ---
???That's about what I was going to say....Perhaps the subject of Mahler has become cliche...not much more to talk about it.

My main interest is to discuss new/old Mahler recordings, by the way.

Of recent Mahler recordings, I liked neither the Norrington M2nd nor the Zinman M2nd CDs. The former way out of the "norm", the latter "too lightweight" for my taste.

I am eagerly waiting for the Boulez/DG M8th and Rattle/BPO/EMI M9th.

John,

Jot N. Tittle:
Thanks for proving the Bored isn't dead, John.

I haven't acquired the Norrington M2 yet, and although I have the Zinman I haven't played it.  Later.

Have you heard the Saccani Budapest Philharmonic Orchestra live 2000 performance? I heard it again yesterday and remain impressed by its liveliness and aural presence. So far as I know, it has not received much, if any, attention. I got my copy from Berkshire Record Outlet for $3.98, but you can also get it direct from the Budapest P. O. for $18.98 if you prefer. ::)

So, John, are we the only ones at home today?

. & '

John Kim:
I think the folks may be "bored" (not "board") by the subject. Burned out, perhaps.

I myself don't listen to Mahler or any other classical music that much recently; I'd rather watch films from the 50's and 60's.

Anyway, No I have not heard the M3rd you've mentioned. I have many M3rds and some of them I've never had chance to listen to yet. My recent favorites are

Nagano/Teldec M3
Bernstein/NYPO/DG M3 (except for the dragging finale)

John,

Ivor:
 Well, we've demonstrated that we don't have to be manic about it !! More than one composer and performer has said the music isn't in the notes.

My preference is for nattering about the music. Failing that, mentioning concerts past and present, and veeeeeery old recordings. I'm looking forward to Mahler 1 by Suffolk Youth Orchestra at the beginning of next month. It's very heartening that Youth and Amateur Orchestras take Mahler into their repertoire and their stride these days. There's a website for non-professional British Orchestras, and they're pretty adventurous.

I've been quite inspired by you all to play my favourite composer more often. (So,many thanks to everybody for that) I loved the idea of spending a holiday on a Mahler-fest. playing the same performance several times on the trot, and playing several performances of the same work pretty well one after the other.

My current choice is to play the symphonies in order - I'm on cycle2. Next will be Tennstedt's M6,as I'm up to 6, and T. is one of the sixths (NB not "sixth's"  ::)) I've yet to play !!

I do see the point,natch , of discussing latest releases. Every recording was the latest release once.

And I like reviving old board threads, too.

Also looking forward to more of the 93 tossing in their pennyworth (aka contributions). I am always interested in what anyone has to say quite independantly of their knowledge, their experience and how high or low they rate GM.

That's because I believe EVERYBODY has something to offer.

(And with not a hint of guilt-inducement - a Cancerian speciality - I'd like to wish myself Happy Birthday)   :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version