Author Topic: I ordered the G. Gimeno/Orch. Phil. du Luxembourg/M. Persson/Pentatone M4  (Read 1700 times)

Offline barryguerrero

I was feeling a little sorry for myself the other night, and impulsively ordered the Gustavo Gimeno/Luxembourg/Miah Persson M4 on Pentatone. I got it at a good price. It's a really good performance on the quicker side of the equation. It also comes with Colin Mathews' orchestration of Mahler's very early Piano Quartet Movement in something-minor ("A", I think). That's kind of fun, actually. You can hear this release at Spotify for sure. F.Y.I.

Offline erikwilson7

Re: I ordered the G. Gimeno/Orch. Phil. du Luxembourg/M. Persson/Pentatone M4
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2023, 09:50:36 PM »
This may be one of the more underrated Mahler recordings I can think of. No one talks about it… ever! And it’s wonderful. I’d easily recommend this to anyone, even a first-timer.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2023, 10:18:55 PM »
Yep!

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 10:23:06 PM »
I like how Miah Persson's voice had matured just the right amount for this Gimeno recording, and she still sounds splendid.

With Fischer, you get a young and playful Persson (ideal for the part), but with Gimeno you get a more serious performance and no lack of quality.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 10:45:50 PM »
I’d make a case for this one over Pentatone’s other M4, the Bychkov, and that one’s excellent in its own right.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2023, 04:49:35 AM »
I'll be happy to own both Pentatone M4 recordings. The fourth has grown on me over the years. It's a very 'erudite' work.

Barry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk