Author Topic: BIS will box up Vanska/Minnesota M-cycle in 2024  (Read 2031 times)

Offline barryguerrero

BIS will box up Vanska/Minnesota M-cycle in 2024
« on: April 10, 2023, 03:43:30 PM »
I received word that there will be a box set made up of the entire Vaenska/Minnesota Mahler cycle. Therefore, I'm going to hold off purchases of the discs until that happens. The next release will be M8, followed by M3. I don't think there are plans for a "Das Lied von der Erde". That piece really should be included in cycles of the complete symphonies (and placed between the 8th and 9th symphonies).

As of now, I have Vanska's M2, M6, M7 and M10. I lost my copy of M4 (it's a long story). I'm tempted to add the new M9, but I will wait for the entire box. As with ALL Mahler symphony cycles, not every item isn't equally good. But I really do like the finale movements in both Vanska's M1 and M5.

If and when I buy the complete Vanska cycle, I might put my Boulez Mahler box up for sale. I really don't play those that often. I have an sacd/cd hybrid disc of Boulez's M3 (Vienna). I would just need to find used copies of his M8, and of the "Das Knaben Wunderhorn"/M10 Adagio disc (Cleveland). Those are easy enough to find at a reasonable price. I have two copies of his Vienna M6 (which is still my personal favorite of any). I love the first and third movements of Boulez's Cleveland M7, but the two Nachtmusik are taken quite swiftly, while the finale needs a bit more pep in the back half of it (where everything begins to go nuts). It is superbly played.

Your comments and criticisms (don't be TOO critical!) are welcomed.

Barry
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 05:52:20 PM by barryguerrero »

Offline erikwilson7

Re: BIS will box up Vanska/Minnesota M-cycle in 2024
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 04:03:53 PM »
For me, the combination of Vänskä and Bychkov may replace Boulez as well. They both carry all the elements of Boulez's recordings, and in my opinion improve on them. I would also miss some elements of Boulez's Mahler, such as the M7 opening movement and the great vocals in the M8 (and that wonderful M1 with Chicago!).

It's too early to tell if Bychkov's cycle will be one to collect in full, but at least for now I feel like the Vänskä and Boulez boxes compliment each other very well. If I get the Vänskä, I'll keep the Boulez until I hear how the Bychkov turns out.

As for Das Lied, Vänskä did one back in the 90s (I think?) for BIS with the Sinfonia Lahti Chamber Ensemble, but it's the Schoenberg chamber version. It's quite good, and it makes for a decent addition to the eventual Vänskä box set.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 05:53:56 PM »
My only problem with Boulez's Chicago M1 is with the Scherzo - the tempo is just too fast for my liking. For that reason, I prefer the Giulini with the C.S.O. (EMI).

Boulez's Berlin M8 is great throughout, with the exception of his ending to Part II (which kind of defeats the point of the whole symphony). His ending to Part I is wonderful!

Barry
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 05:58:43 PM by barryguerrero »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 07:38:08 PM »
> Boulez's Berlin M8 is great throughout, with the exception of his ending to Part II

--> That's where he omits the soft timpani roll !!

John

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 08:31:46 PM »
My only problem with Boulez's Chicago M1 is with the Scherzo - the tempo is just too fast for my liking. For that reason, I prefer the Giulini with the C.S.O. (EMI).

Boulez's Berlin M8 is great throughout, with the exception of his ending to Part II (which kind of defeats the point of the whole symphony). His ending to Part I is wonderful!

Barry

Agreed about the M8. And for that M1 scherzo, you're absolutely right, however just like Gielen (same tempo) he is taking it at exactly what his edition of the score calls for, dotted half note = 60. This is not usually taken this fast. I like it taken around the tempo Ádám Fischer or his brother do. Nott as well, right around 8:00.

> Boulez's Berlin M8 is great throughout, with the exception of his ending to Part II

--> That's where he omits the soft timpani roll !!

John

I don't mind this creative choice too much if they make it sound right. I think Bernstein's first LSO recording does the same thing, and that is still one of my favorite recordings of the work.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 08:40:52 PM by erikwilson7 »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2023, 05:24:18 PM »
Over the years Boulez’s cycle has grown on me, especially his M3, M4, DLvDE and M6. But I’m really happy Vanska’s cycle will come out as a box. So far I vastly prefer it to Boulez.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2023, 05:58:45 PM »
I heard Vanska's M3rd and M8th on archives and they are really good as good as any he has done so far in the cycle.

For me the standouts so far are M2, M5, M6 (I.-III.), M7, M10 (the best in the series), and M9. Well, that's almost  all of them except for the 1st & 4th. :-)

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2023, 08:14:19 PM »
John, what is an "Archives"? Do you have to have a subcription?   .    .   .   and when you say Vanska's M8 and M3 are there, you mean the actual BIS mix-downs, or something straight from the concerts?

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2023, 08:58:22 PM »
Barry,

If you recall the Minnesota Orchestra website had videos of these concerts available on their site for some time. That's when and how I heard the performances.

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2023, 07:43:01 PM »
OK, understood. I was just thrown by the word "archives", as that's also the name of a prominent classical music review and e-tailer site (Archive Music). I don't remember seeing/hearing the entire M3, but perhaps I had.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 06:13:34 AM by barryguerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk