Author Topic: I pre-ordered a CD copy of the Bychkov/Pentatone M2. Here's why . . .  (Read 1678 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Well, first of all, I want to support Pentatone in their decision to record Mahler symphonies with Bychkov and the Czech Phil. at this bleak time in our world history. I also want to help support Europdisc too - one of the few good places left. With the shipping charge, my 'pre-order' came out to just over $18, which isn't bad. I'm going to forgo the wonderful Vanska/Minnesota/BIS M9 for now, as I'm planning to buy the eventual box set of the complete symphonies (which should be made available in late 2024). For one thing, I just got the very good Simon Rattle/BRSO/BR Klassik M9 - just this last month!

Yes, I do like Bychkov's M2 enough to add it to my already saturated arsenal. But I have a feeling that the Bychkov may become my new 'go to' for a 'redbook' CD version (while the Vanska will remain my first choice for SACD). For one thing, Pentatone at least broke the finale up into two, somewhat equal tracks (I'd like another track that skips the slow, soft choral stuff). Anyway   .   .    .     .    . 

Offline erikwilson7

I've said this elsewhere on here, but I'm loving Bychkov's recordings as a healthy alternative to Vänskä's microscopic, Boulezian neutral approach. Both of these cycles plus Ádám Fischer's––which reminds me of Kubelík––are a modern trifecta comparable to the 1960s trifecta (Bernstein / Kubelík / Haitink) in my opinion, in that they compliment each other very well all in different ways.

We are blessed to have BIS's sound quality, Fischer's conducting, and the Czech Phil's playing. Goodness, imagine if all three were one cycle? I might implode.

Barry, I'd say go for it and collect these Bychkov Mahlers now. If there's going to be a box set eventually, it's at least a few years out at this point.

PS: I really want to hear more from Rattle and the BRSO now too.

Offline barryguerrero

Daniel Harding is going to be doing M7 with the BRSO this coming season. I'll bet BR Klassik will issue a recording of that. It could be quite good.

Offline John Kim

Barry,

Can you hear the low & high tam tams in the closing pages? I can't. Bells are audible and very loud, however.

John

Offline barryguerrero

Yes and no. It is bit inconsistent in that regard. Some of the strokes are more audible than other ones. I do like the way the bell part was handled. I also like that the offstage trumpets were pretty audible in the lead-up to the big march section's climax (fifth movement). Also, 23 minutes is right on target for me, for the first movement. I like it neither too fast, nor too slow (I'll take the too fast over the too slowly, in the instance of the first movement). This release presses enough buttons that I want to be supportive.    .    .    .    .   Also, I like that it's on one disc, and that they at least gave one extra track to break up the finale (I prefer four or five tracks for the finale).

Barry
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 07:26:07 PM by barryguerrero »

Offline erikwilson7

It seems we rarely ever get both audible tams and bells at the end. It's usually one or the other with some rare exception recordings.

If it's one or the other, which one is more important for you guys? For me personally, I need to hear the bells no matter what.

With the new Bychkov M2, the tams aren't entirely inaudible but they're certainly pretty buried. It doesn't bother me too much as long as the bells are ringing loud and proud.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 08:55:22 PM by erikwilson7 »

Offline barryguerrero

I really like hearing the bells, as long as they're using something other than the ubiquitous rolling rack of holy doorbells (chimes). Those just don't cut it for me. I don't mind them so much for the "Bim-bam" choral movement of M3, because those notes should be pretty much to pitch (matching the boy singers). Bell plates, or actual casted bells are fine with me. My preference would be to hear the high low pitched tam-tams as well.

Offline barryguerrero

.    .    .   I also want to support Europadisc. I'm sure business is a real challenge for them. They're offering the disc at a good price, and even the shipping cost is very reasonable. They've been overshadowed by Presto Classical, but Europadisc has always been reliable for me.

Offline brunumb

.    .    .   I also want to support Europadisc. I'm sure business is a real challenge for them. They're offering the disc at a good price, and even the shipping cost is very reasonable. They've been overshadowed by Presto Classical, but Europadisc has always been reliable for me.

I would like to second that.   8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk