Author Topic: Bychkov/CPO Mahler Sixth  (Read 1501 times)

Offline John Kim

Re: Bychkov/CPO Mahler Sixth
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2023, 02:48:08 AM »
Bychkov is just as great as he was with NYPO. I think Bychkov and CPO really nailed the piece. For now, this will be my reference version of the symphony.

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2023, 03:13:05 PM »
I have Facebook friends who missed that concert by just one day in Aix en Provence!!!!    .    .    .   I don't have time to listen to this today, but I'll get around to it. As I've said, the best 'live' M6 I've ever attended was Bychkov/Vienna Phil. while on tour in Berkeley. That includes having seen Bernstein conduct it in Carnegie Hall with the V.P.O. Bychkov did it in scherzo/andante order.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 05:10:56 PM »
What do you guys expect will be the "crowning achievement" of this Bychkov cycle? It may very well be the Sixth. I can't wait to hear how he does with the Third though. The Czech Phil is just perfect for it.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2023, 05:45:00 PM »
Erik,

No doubt it will the Sixth!

I've heard a Bychkov/CPO M9th but I will bet on the 6th.

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2023, 07:18:50 PM »
Since the C.P.O. knows the 7th backwards and forwards, I'd expect the 7th to be really good as well. I'm also looking forward to an eventual M3, even if it turns out to be on the 'expansive' side of the equation. I already have the excellent Inbal/C.P.O. M7, and the Kobayashi, Ashkenazy and Macal ones are nothing to sneeze at either (all with he C.P.O.). On the whole, as long as Bychkov remains a healthy man, this cycle should end up being really good. I thought the Neumann M8 generally sounded marvelous (with a few 'not so great' vocal soloists), so I expect an eventual M8 could be very good as well. We'll see   .     .   . 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 10:19:03 PM by barryguerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk